Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Choppy video Frodo 12.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I just built my HTPC and its running great, except for the choppy playback within XBMC. I have NextPVR add-on installed for LiveTV as well.
No matter whether I'm watching live TV through XBMC or playing a video file it plays slightly choppy. Not terrible but it is noticeable. It kind of plays normal then slows down then speeds back up.

Playing anything outside of xbmc is smooth as butter, I've tried playing various media files in VLC all play fine. Watched live TV directly out of NPVR and its fine. Recordings played in NPVR look perfect. The same recording played through xbmc is choppy.

I tried to search a bit and found a lot of threads related to audio settings, mine are set to output to 2.0 as I have a sound bar speaker connected to the 3.5mm output jack on my htpc, so that doesn't seem like the culprit.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

I should add that I am running Windows 7 64bit
debug log.
bump
Sorry I have looked at your log but nothing jumps out at me.

Can you post a screenshot of your audio settings please? You can take a screenshot with the prtscr key (you will need a keyboard attached.) The record button on some remotes will do the same thing.
here's my audio and video settings

This is getting really frustrating. The issue seems to come and go as it pleases, without any correlation to CPU load or anything else.

http://i.imgur.com/x81MkPS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pUCPxib.jpg
Turn off "Boost volume on downmix" and "output stereo to all speakers" and see if it makes a difference.
if not, try Changing Directsound
Thanks

I tried changing those, it seemed to help a bit will keep an eye on it.

I upgraded to 12.2 also
issue is still there I don't understand this...

Do I need more ram?? I have 4gb I allocated 512 to the GPU in the bios settings

at this point I have isolated the issue to xbmc as every other video player ie VLC, windows media, nextpvr, etc plays video flawlessly

while debugging I noticed the frame rate drops to 35-36 while this happens is that normal?
I'm even seeing this when streaming video from Hulu in xbmc the video starts to chop and hang up then it starts playing very fast and catches up to the audio

another issue I'm seeing is that I have black bars that seem to be confused. The bars flicker on and off and try to crop the video randomly when it doesn't need to be cropped. This is mostly noticeable when watching live tv that goes to a commercial
Maybe try fiddling with the bios a bit, disable things like hpet, try some different gpu settings etc.
(2013-05-14, 05:47)airflite40 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm even seeing this when streaming video from Hulu in xbmc the video starts to chop and hang up then it starts playing very fast and catches up to the audio

another issue I'm seeing is that I have black bars that seem to be confused. The bars flicker on and off and try to crop the video randomly when it doesn't need to be cropped. This is mostly noticeable when watching live tv that goes to a commercial
Some TV stations do change aspect ratio during adverts.
let me clarify by saying that the black bars are cropping areas that should not be cropped, and they seem flash on and off like they cannot decide whether the picture should be cropped. Is there a way to just disable them entirely?