Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OSX DVD Audio stops working randomly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is the second time this issue has occurred for me. I have several DVD ISO's which I keep in XBMC. Occasionally if I use another piece of software to open them, and then attempt to open them later with XBMC, the DVD ISO's will no longer properly produce sound in XBMC - they just produce static. I have output set to Optical/COAX, and output device set to default (all sound goes from my mac mini to the television via HDMI). stereo sound to all speakers is disabled, and all of the "compatible receiver" options are checked (basically the default options except for optical because of the 46m issue).

The sound for the ISO's still plays just fine in VLC, it is only an issue with XBMC. The last time I had to fix this I ended up completely uninstalling XBMC, as well as all related files, and reinstalling from scratch. But the issue is back, and that's not a constant workable solution.

The static goes away if I disable all of the "compatible receiver" options and check the "stereo output to all speakers" setting, but the sound becomes so incredibly quiet it is barely audible. It also will go away if I change the output to analog, but again, super quiet and muddy sound.

I have attached the debug log.

Debug log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=17714
Could you try a nightly build and see if the issue is fixed there already?
This was happening in 12.1, and also in 12.2. I ripped everything XBMC related out and started with a clean install, and it is working fine again. For now I'm going to just leave it alone. I also added a bunch of additional backup procedures so if it screws up again I can just restore to a point at which it was working.

I know the issue lies somewhere in the ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/ directory (if I do a brand new install and copy that directory back, the issue reappears), but that doesn't really narrow anything down I suppose.
And it just happened again, for the third time. DVDs played back just fine. Exited out of XBMC and re-opened, attempted to play a DVD and got nothing but static. Attempted to restore from an xbmc backup, and the damn issue remains. No idea what is going wrong.

If there are any devs watchin this thread, can you please let me know what is needed to help troubleshoot this? I use these DVD's daily and it's really impacting my use of XBMC to have to do a complete clean install, rebuild of DB, and re-install of all plugins every 2-3 days.
Nuked everything, installed a new copy of XBMC 12.2, and then used the XBMCBackup addon to restore from yesterday. All plugins are back, sound is working again. I included a diagnostic log of me playing a DVD ISO to show that it does work. Hopefully the change between the two is helpful.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=18828