Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: WatchedList - service to automatically save/restore watched state
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
(2018-02-11, 16:09)Foradh Wrote: [ -> ][...] and the same Version of WachedList 1.2.4 [...]
(2018-02-04, 13:29)schapplm Wrote: [ -> ]Please let me know, if the problem still persists after the update to addon version 1.2.5.
Wink Addon is working again. Many thanks for the fix in 1.2.5
I'm just wondering if something i seem to notice at the moment does make any sense:

Using a standard local db file with "follow user interaction":
- If i mark a movie was watched manually, the local db file immediately gets changed, which you can see by looking at the "last changed" date of the file - ALL GOOD

Using a db file on a smb share in the most likely correct smb:// path format with "follow user interaction":
- If i mark a movie was watched manually, the smb db file does NOT get changed, which you can see by looking at the "last changed" date of the file
- BUT: Writing to the smb db file on the exact  same smb share DOES work for all other "non manual" cases (when a movie completes while playing to the end)

Since i never used the "manual feature" before, i did never notice it until today.

Just switched back from smb to local file and everything works again for the manual cases.
I did not find any db writing errors in the log file though  - will have a closer look asap.

Thanks much
I am not completely sure, if this represents a bug or an unexpected behaviour of the addon, which has to be fixed.
Two thoughts:
  1. The "watch-user"-feature is implemented a bit "hacky" and is therefore behaving a little bit erratic sometimes. It permanently checks the user idle time and infers if the user could have done something. Then, the current movie database (from Kodi) is checked against the stored old version of the database (in the addon). Therefore, the changes might not be taken over directly if you keep pressing buttons and the idle time does not change. The program waits until a movie is finished before doing some action (explaining the difference "when a movie completes while playing to the end"), so the behaviour can look differently in that case. This implementation is producing more computational load than it could, but a better implementation would need deeper integration in Kodi and the media library or into the skin.
  2. I try not to write to the SMB share so often to reduce network load. I reduced closing and reopening the (network) database in the last version. I am not sure, if I fixed it "too much". However, the intended behaviour should be to not save the database after every change due to user interaction, which could be every few seconds if you re-work your library or manually mark big amount of media. I expect the addon to be used by a single person on multiple devices, so transferring the changes to the other devices should be a matter of hours/days.
Hey, many thanks for your extensive information.
After some more testing i went back to the standard local db file for my main system and all mentioned problems went away - as we already suspected. On all other devices i don't use WatchedList anymore for the moment.
But maybe there's a solution?

I get the intention why you may want to reduce smb writing load/traffic or cpu load - but for me it really felt like using something buggy without having an idea what possibly could be wrong.

Would there be the possibility for an option/switch to turn off the somehow "broken" (no offense) smb/cpu load/traffic reducing measures, so all the users with a stable network and medium-or-high performance devices and networks could save to smb as often like it was a local file?

Hi Smile
I read the wiki, the first post an some other replies, still I can’t understand if this addon could be of any help to me (sorry, my bad Sad )
I’ m using three kodi clients, sharing the same library through MySQL on NAS, I’d like to have separated watched status for each client.
I mean every client connects to the same library, if I add a movie on client A, the other two clients will have the same movie too, but if I watch a movie on client A, I’d like to let it unwatched on the other two clients.
At the moment I’m not using kodi profiles, because I don’t want a separated library on each client.

Could this addon help me to archieve the desidered result ?

Thanks a lot Smile
Isn't that the default behavior?

At least, that's what my three did before I edited the advancedsettings.xml and setup MySQL.
(2018-08-08, 20:26)z3rodivide Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Smile
I read the wiki, the first post an some other replies, still I can’t understand if this addon could be of any help to me (sorry, my bad Sad )
I’ m using three kodi clients, sharing the same library through MySQL on NAS, I’d like to have separated watched status for each client.
I mean every client connects to the same library, if I add a movie on client A, the other two clients will have the same movie too, but if I watch a movie on client A, I’d like to let it unwatched on the other two clients.
At the moment I’m not using kodi profiles, because I don’t want a separated library on each client.

Could this addon help me to archieve the desidered result ?

Thanks a lot Smile
You can't have independent watched statuses with a shared database, that goes against the entire point of having a shared database, so no - this addon won't help you as it's not possible.

If you want each client to have their own watched status then each client must have it's own database. You could achieve this via profiles (and even continue using MySQL, but with three different MySQL databases one per client) but that's just crazy, unnecessarily complex, and profiles cause all sorts of other issues. Or you stop using a centralised/shared MySQL database and go back to per-client SQLite databases (ie. the Kodi default) so that each client is independent of the others (sharing nothing).

The downside of a per-client database, of course, is that whenever you want to add a new movie, episode or song you will need to scan it separately into each client.
Thanks for your reply Smile
Would be great if kodi had a “per-user” support, with shared library and independent views and some other settings. However, I’going off topic, thanks again.
Is there a way to completely turn off any prompts while the addon is running? I saw an earlier post regarding a silent mode, but I didn't see any solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Shedrock
I described a setting for amount of user information in the wiki.
If you set this to "none", there should not be any notifications.
(2018-09-22, 06:38)schapplm Wrote: [ -> ]I described a setting for amount of user information in the wiki.
If you set this to "none", there should not be any notifications.
I am actually on a Helix version, so I guess it's safe to assume that this option exists only in newer versions.

Shedrock
(2018-09-22, 14:26)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]I am actually on a Helix version, so I guess it's safe to assume that this option exists only in newer versions.
If you want to stick to Helix, then you can try to install the newer version manually. You might also need to update the dependencies which are listed in the addon.xml. Could be worth a try.
(2018-09-30, 20:20)schapplm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-22, 14:26)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]I am actually on a Helix version, so I guess it's safe to assume that this option exists only in newer versions.
If you want to stick to Helix, then you can try to install the newer version manually. You might also need to update the dependencies which are listed in the addon.xml. Could be worth a try. 
Thank you very much. I was actually going to do that tomorrow. You read my mind.

Thanks again for your response. I'll let you know how it goes.

Shedrock
Hey schapplm,
does the Dropbox implementation save to the cloud-database-file as often as using the standard method of a local database file? Or are similar load load/traffic reducing measures in place like with the smb saving variant?
Thank you.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35