Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Developer Area
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Just wanted to point out that when I started looking for a media manager, I had found references to Ember, and after doing some research I discounted it because it appeared to be a dead project... The project's home on Google Code is still there, and there is no mention of the "new" home.

I would suggest that those with the power to do so should remove the project from there, or at the very least clean up the front page to point to the "new" home. The names listed don't appear to be the same as the active ones here, but thought I'd check here first...
(2013-10-18, 21:17)Dekker500 Wrote: [ -> ]Just submitted my first pull request. Be gentle!

Thought I'd introduce myself and my motivations though...

The biggest hurdle to my participation (or anyone's for that matter) is being able to understand what is going on with the code. I have some long-term ideas on how to help (improve code quality and robustness), but to get there I needed to understand what is actually going on under the covers. To that end I have embarked upon a quest to add formal method documentation. In the process, I have also added numerous parameter validations. If there are no major problems, I will continue with this process on the other files.

great Big GrinBig Grin

(2013-10-18, 21:17)Dekker500 Wrote: [ -> ]All the coders would need to keep the comments current/valid and properly document new methods though!

HAHAHA I'll try to be a good boy Smile

(2013-10-18, 21:17)Dekker500 Wrote: [ -> ]My long-term goal? Once enough of the base classes are documented, I'd really like to bring in unit testing, whether with VS2012's built-in capabilities, or preferably NUnit. This would allow developers to run a series of automated tests before checking new code in, and allow the release co-ordinator to validate that new releases don't regress in functionality. On that note, does anyone have any preferences on unit testing system?

The easiest one. Not everyone is knowledgeable on unit tests and we should try to lower the overall complexity for new developers not to scare them away.

In any case for me you have been appointed as Test Lead for EMM... does everyone agree Tongue

(2013-10-18, 21:17)Dekker500 Wrote: [ -> ]Once the unit testing framework is in place, existing code should get adequate unit test coverage, to make EMM as robust as it can be.

Dekker500

I love that!

(2013-10-22, 18:59)Dekker500 Wrote: [ -> ]Just wanted to point out that when I started looking for a media manager, I had found references to Ember, and after doing some research I discounted it because it appeared to be a dead project... The project's home on Google Code is still there, and there is no mention of the "new" home.

I would suggest that those with the power to do so should remove the project from there, or at the very least clean up the front page to point to the "new" home. The names listed don't appear to be the same as the active ones here, but thought I'd check here first...

This is sadly true, no one of us has control on Google Code Sad (as far as I know)
OK, I came across an interesting "feature" in 1.4 that is turning out to be a bug, or at least a design decision with a slight flaw...

In dlgTrailerSelect, there is the YouTube trailer preview window. It uses an object AxShockwaveFlashObjects.AxShockwaveFlash to do that.

Well, count me as one of the few, but I don't like/trust Adobe's Flash player and don't have it installed. Too many security vulnerabilities, etc. What this means is when I click on the "+" to add a trailer, the app spits a message about being unable to load the DLL, then crashes hard. I have had to disable that feature in my version for now...

Suggestion:
Instead of using that DLL, consider VLC (open source - GPLv2), which could play almost any kind of media.

VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
.Net interface to VLC: https://wiki.videolan.org/.Net_Interface_to_VLC
More examples: http://stackoverflow.com/a/7382810

What do you guys think?

The other option would be to test for this requirement during initial installation (or first run, or startup, whatever) and alert the user of its requirement and provide a link so they can "get Flash". Or now that I type that, a more elegant solution is to "blank" the video player and provide the "get Flash" player in that location, so the user can install it if they want, or ignore it if they don't want that feature.

Dekker
(2013-11-06, 21:54)Dekker500 Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I came across an interesting "feature" in 1.4 that is turning out to be a bug, or at least a design decision with a slight flaw...

In dlgTrailerSelect, there is the YouTube trailer preview window. It uses an object AxShockwaveFlashObjects.AxShockwaveFlash to do that.

Well, count me as one of the few, but I don't like/trust Adobe's Flash player and don't have it installed. Too many security vulnerabilities, etc. What this means is when I click on the "+" to add a trailer, the app spits a message about being unable to load the DLL, then crashes hard. I have had to disable that feature in my version for now...

Suggestion:
Instead of using that DLL, consider VLC (open source - GPLv2), which could play almost any kind of media.

VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
.Net interface to VLC: https://wiki.videolan.org/.Net_Interface_to_VLC
More examples: http://stackoverflow.com/a/7382810

What do you guys think?

The other option would be to test for this requirement during initial installation (or first run, or startup, whatever) and alert the user of its requirement and provide a link so they can "get Flash". Or now that I type that, a more elegant solution is to "blank" the video player and provide the "get Flash" player in that location, so the user can install it if they want, or ignore it if they don't want that feature.

Dekker
Wow nice!
I also use VLC player as default player (along with MPC) on my computer but with that solution we have to make sure that VLC is installed on user system or put it in the Ember Package. I have no problem with that but wouldn't it be enough to play trailers in Ember using default mediaplayer on user system? Or does WMP not support flv /mov files?
Could always just make it a setting and allow the user to specify which player to use. If not set, when they try to play a trailer, they are prompted to point to the media player for Ember to call.
(2013-11-11, 17:21)deh2k7 Wrote: [ -> ]Could always just make it a setting and allow the user to specify which player to use. If not set, when they try to play a trailer, they are prompted to point to the media player for Ember to call.

The difficulty with that is the player is embedded into the Ember UI, and not a popup player. The list of acceptable players has to be constrained at design time. Either that, or we consider the pop out player instead and give the use full control.
My idea was to integrate a player (no popup player, it's the same shit like "Open in Browser"). I am trying again how that works with the VLC.
A setting I can do in any case.

At the moment I'm working on Extrathumbs and Extrafanarts. That's a lot more effort than I thought. But I should be finished today evening.
Can someone test without installed VLC?

VLC Plugin Test
(2013-11-11, 20:33)DanCooper Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone test without installed VLC?

VLC Plugin Test

Already downloading Big Grin

EDIT:
Doesn't work, App is crashing on startup:
Problemsignatur:
Problemereignisname: CLR20r3
Problemsignatur 01: VLC Test.exe
Problemsignatur 02: 1.0.0.0
Problemsignatur 03: 52812313
Problemsignatur 04: System.Windows.Forms
Problemsignatur 05: 4.0.30319.33440
Problemsignatur 06: 52004310
Problemsignatur 07: c2b
Problemsignatur 08: 36
Problemsignatur 09: System.InvalidOperationException
Betriebsystemversion: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: 5861
Zusatzinformation 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Zusatzinformation 3: 3a20
Zusatzinformation 4: 3a20a93c34687143a5bf7d33f1cf3ccc
I think the best method is to have the startup routine somehow test whether the system resource is available on the system. In fact, it might be possible to test the whole list of players and use the first one that respond correctly.
We should not use the player but the library, or an object to be embedded in the window.

Flash allows that, VLC... we have to check.

To create an overlay from a generic app is not possible
Folks,
which version of Visual Studio are you using?
I opened the project on 2010 and the test projects fail. Opened it in 2013 and I have 103 errors on test projects

M
I'm using VS 2012 Express

The colours you might see are:
  • Red - failed test
  • Blue - Not run yet
  • Yellow - Inconclusive
  • Green - Success

Is it an actual error that is being reported?? If it fails, the the result window (just below the test list) should show what failed and possibly why.
I have errors in the output dialog not even run them.
here you can see them:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24