Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Possible to have DVR functionality without PVR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am wondering if XBMC can have DVR functionality without a PVR client or backend? Is there anyway to do it like VLC where there is just the record button? I'd use VLC as an external player, but it appears it doesn't support the hdhomerun:// protocol, as I am using a HDHomeRun with XBMC on Fedora 18, and don't want to go through the hassle of setting up PVR. If anyone knows how to get VLC working with the hdhomerun:// protocol, I'd love to use it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated
When I run the hdhomerun gui and click the button to watch, vlc opens and plays.
That works for me as well, however trying to launch it as an XBMC external player using a .strm file fails, and it saiys it can't open hdhomerun://tunername/etc. The built in XBMC player works fine, however I can't find anyway to get DVR functionality with it using .strm files.
Vlc uses a different url scheme I think.
Just tried it and vlc opens udp://127.0.0.1:5000 when I click "view" in the hdhomerun gui.