Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: refresh info / art for ALL movies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I am using a 3rd party to maintain my movie and TV metadata and I'm running into some issues. Occassionally I like to go through and do some updating to fanart, posters, metadata, etc. However, I can't seem to find a way to force XBMC to use the new fanart and posters without going into each individual movie and choosing "refresh", or changing the content of the source and then changing it back. Of course, this loses the watched status so it's not a very good solution.

I've tried deleting the thumbnails folder and the textures.db but it is still picking up the old images.

Is there any way to force XBMC to refresh the images for ALL movies?

Thanks,

Russell
You can use advancedsettings.xml (wiki) and use the tag <importwatchedstate> so you do not lose the watched state when reimporting.

There is also a script available on the forum somewhere that can be run that forces XBMC to reload all the local files.

What you are doing is changing fanart.jpg outside of XBMC and this messes with the way XBMC handles caching now.
I used to do this as well but these days i just choose which fanart to view from within XBMC, right from my skin, and export my database regularly. No need for external programs anymore.
Kibje,

Thanks, I'll take a look at changing the advancedsettings.xml. When you say re-importing, what exactly do you mean? Changing the source type and then changing it back? Just want to confirm before I mess up my whole library Smile

Any ideas on what to search for to find the script you mentioned?

I would use xbmc to adjust the fanart etc. but it's just so much easier to adjust everything using a 3rd party solution with a dedicated keyboard, mouse, etc. All my xbmc installs are meant for "couch" viewing so no keyboard / mouse which makes adjusting metadata, etc. more cumbersome.
I found the thread discussing the script you mentioned here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158373

First you have to have python 2.7 installed.

Then I downloaded the necessary files as a zip file from here:

https://github.com/MilhouseVH/texturecac...master.zip

I extracted everything to an easy folder like C:\xbmc_library_maintenance

I had to enable the webserver in XBMC and made note of the port.

Then I had to rename texturecache.cfg.default to texturecache.cfg and modified it according to my xbmc installation. For Windows a couple changes had to be made:

LIne 2 had to be changed to:
userdata = ~/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata/

I changed the webserver port to the port on my xbmc webserver page

I also had to add the following line at the bottom:
allow.recacheall = yes

Finally, I went to a command prompt and ran the python script with the "C" command:

texturecache.py C movies

This forces a re-cache of ALL movie image thumbnails.

It took about 10 minutes to re-cache everything but it worked perfect! I'll just re-run this script any time that I do metadata updates outside of XBMC.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

This would be a nice bit of code to add to XBMC as native functionality though.
You can also run it for specific movies (or specific tv shows, artists, albums, songs etc.), eg.

Code:
texturecache.py C movies avatar

Note that if you're downloading cast (actor) thumbnails in XBMC, you may also want to add "cache.castthumb = yes" to your properties (.cfg) file.

Finally, if you're running XBMC on a fairly powerful machine, you may benefit from bumping up the number of download threads, eg. "download.threads = 10", as this can help speed things up a bit.