Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC vs Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am choosing OS for my main HTPC where I need 3D, 3D ISO, BD ISO, bitstreaming. I have read some time before that OpenELEC does not have every features, but things could change till now... (For info I have HTPC with i3 3225).

Are these function possible on OpenELEC? (I suppose everything is possible on Windows 7 or 8)

- 3D
- 3D ISO
- 3D ISO with menu
- BD ISO
- BD ISO with menu
- bitstreaming

Are there any other functions or features for choosing Windows 7 / 8 against OpenELEC?

Thank you very much for your help.
What do you mean by 3D?

MVC files (xbmc on any OS does not do)
SBS or OU files (xbmc does on any OS)
(2013-05-22, 01:31)PV_XBMC Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I am choosing OS for my main HTPC where I need 3D, 3D ISO, BD ISO, bitstreaming. I have read some time before that OpenELEC does not have every features, but things could change till now... (For info I have HTPC with i3 3225).

Are these function possible on OpenELEC? (I suppose everything is possible on Windows 7 or 8)

- 3D
- 3D ISO
- 3D ISO with menu
- BD ISO
- BD ISO with menu
- bitstreaming

Are there any other functions or features for choosing Windows 7 / 8 against OpenELEC?

Why not try openelec?
Its free. It'll take 1 hour of your time.
You can run of a usb stick, it doesn't have to be your main os. I have it installed on my hd. It does everything I want it to and my pc runs a lot faster without having windows to run as well.
Only you can decide whether its any good Wink
(2013-05-22, 10:55)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean by 3D?

MVC files (xbmc on any OS does not do)
SBS or OU files (xbmc does on any OS)

I mean both:

- 3D (SBS)
- 3D ISO (Blu-ray format)
Well I have answered re both of those formats.
Yes, but on windows it has solution in usage external player that is called from XBMC. I think, OpenELEC does not have solution for it.
Sorry you didn't mention external players. I thought you were talking about xbmc not other software.
(2013-05-22, 12:06)colemanuk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-22, 01:31)PV_XBMC Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

- 3D
- 3D ISO
- 3D ISO with menu
- BD ISO
- BD ISO with menu
- bitstreaming

Why not try openelec?
Its free. It'll take 1 hour of your time.
You can run of a usb stick, it doesn't have to be your main os. I have it installed on my hd. It does everything I want it to and my pc runs a lot faster without having windows to run as well.
Only you can decide whether its any good Wink

Yes, I know OpenELEC, I have it on two my HTPC with ION2, but for my main HTPC I want features and functions that I described above. Definitely I can instal OpenELEC also on my new i3 3225 and try everything, but I think, that somebody know every limits of OpenELEC and I could make decision only on this.

(2013-05-22, 13:05)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry you didn't mention external players. I thought you were talking about xbmc not other software.

Of course, I prefer only XBMC solution without external players. But, If it is not possible, I am trying search other possibility...
3D ISO requires external players. I am not sure of the linux solution, but you can likely find windows solutions. I think there is a thread on AVSForum for that.

If you can convert/rip your 3D to SBS or OU, then any XBMC distro will work, including OpenELEC.
(2013-05-22, 17:53)whitebelly Wrote: [ -> ]3D ISO requires external players. I am not sure of the linux solution, but you can likely find windows solutions. I think there is a thread on AVSForum for that.

If you can convert/rip your 3D to SBS or OU, then any XBMC distro will work, including OpenELEC.

Thank you for your info, so for 3D ISO I will use XBMC for Windows with external player MPC HC, PowerDVD or Total Media Theatre.