Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Movie set thumbnail and subtitle setting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there,

I am using Frodo 12.2 on Ubuntu, and i have 2 questions.

When i reformat my computer there are two settings that i keep losing, which is a bit frustrating.

One is Movie Set Thumbnails. I have tried the following naming conventions for the Movie Set Thumbnail - folder.jpg, folder.tbn, foldername.tbn, foldername.jpg, moviesetname.tbn, moviesetname.jpg

But each time i update my movie library after a fresh install, my movie thumbnails are picked-up, but my Movie Set Thumbnails always default to one of the movie thumbnails, rather than the movie set one.

Any ideas on how to get XBMC to pick the right thumbnails for Movie Sets?

The second issue is Subtitle selection. I don't use any subtitle add-on. When in a movie, if i need a subtitle, i simply click on the Audio icon and select enable subtitle, then select the subtitle i want. When i leave the film and return to it, the settings are saved.

However, with a fresh install i have to go through and select the subtitle i want and enable it again.

I use nfo files for most of my movies, but there doesn't seem to be a setting for default subtitle, and for whether subtitles are enabled on a per movie basis.

So where does XBMC store this information? I have tried exporting a movie, but there is no entry for selected/default subtitle in the xml file. I have also checked advancedsettings.xml

Does anyone know where XBMC stores subtitle information and how i might export/import it so i don't have to start from scratch and do it manually on each install??

Many thanks in advance!
(2013-05-22, 23:42)westo Wrote: [ -> ]Any ideas on how to get XBMC to pick the right thumbnails for Movie Sets?

For movie sets, this is the only automated solution right now: Movie Set Artwork Automator.

(2013-05-22, 23:42)westo Wrote: [ -> ]However, with a fresh install i have to go through and select the subtitle i want and enable it again.

Have you specified your preferred subtitle language in Settings -> Appearance -> International?

Encoding your movies in such a way that you specify which subtitle is the default would also work - for example, use an MKV container which supports this facility.
Thanks MilhouseVH

Regarding the subtitle issue, based on what you said, i realised that the forced subtitles i wanted to use were in an external srt file. So i used the following commands in mkvmerge

Code:
mkvmerge --identify inputfile.mkv

This told me which track id was assigned to my audio and video within the mkv - to be used in the next command

Code:
mkvmerge -o outputfile.mkv inputfile.mkv --track-name "0:Forced" --forced-track "0:yes" -d 0 -a 1 "subtitlefile.srt"

This added my subtitle file to my movie, made it the default and set it as Forced. This made it always display even when Enable subtitles is switched off. And will work automatically if i do a fresh install.

Regarding the Movie Set thumbnails, i have enabled the add-on but it doesn't seem to do anything. I will check on this again and post back my results.

Many thanks!