Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I can't deal with this software
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
OK this time we like the shouting. Happy shouting = OK.

Must say I had pretty much given up on you early in the thread (or in fact I thought you had given up), I'm glad we all persisted.
One music library problem I haven't licked yet is with ID3 2.3 tags. By spec only 2 of the tags, artist TPE2 and composer TCOM allow multiple entries, and those require "/" as the field separator. There is no spec for multi-fields in other tags, and tagging software uses various conventions. In most cases "/" is not used, due to the AC/DC problem. XBMC allows specifying the separator but it has universal scope so unless the tagging software is using "/" as separator in all multi-fields there will be a problem. It isn't a problem with FLAC due to how vorbis comments work.

I have another problem in that I have a lot of east Asian music and often a group/artist will have multiple names based on the country of release. In some cases they also use a stylized latin-char name (typ English). It's really a tagging problem as "alias" isn't really supported in tag specs. Similar problem with classical music which doesn't fit neatly into the tag spec boxes.

scott s.
I may have spoken too soon. This evening it has locked up on me 3 times. Locking up so bad I have to pull the plug to reboot. I think I may cry.
Now is not the time for crying, but for slaying the beast. The beast has been lured out. Collect data (logs, suspected bad files, note any changes in the system), and we shall defeat it for good!
(2013-05-31, 05:16)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Now is not the time for crying, but for slaying the beast. The beast has been lured out. Collect data (logs, suspected bad files, note any changes in the system), and we shall defeat it for good!

couldnt have said it better myself ...lol...Also note what task you where doing before it locked up.
Goodbyt XBMC

After more then a year of working with XBMC I have finally removed it from my HD, never to look back. Using XBMC is like dying from 1000 paper cuts. Yes it works, kinds, sorta. But not really. There are just too many little things that keep going wrong. Recently the CBS news app has stopped working, no Netflix, no Amazon. I accidentally hit a key on my remote and changed the OSD for music and have spent 3 days trying to change it back, with no luck. 3 DAYS trying to change OSD!! How non user friendly can one program beHuh I do QA testing for a company that is world wide, huge, and this thing is just got so many little problems it is insane!. I have dealt with the little things for more then a year now, but have just had it. I only vent my frustration in a vain hope that the developers will eventually consider the user when they write this stuff. Honestly, I have been a software QA tester for years have not ever seen something so non-user friendly as XBMC. Best wishes to all the brave, brave souls who actually try to use this thing.
Please give us your credit card details so we can refund your purchase price.
Yeah but we got him (more or less sorted).

For someone who is a software QA tester, he wasn't very competent at reporting problems...
Like I said in that other thread months ago, music definitely needs some TLC in XBMC, but you also have to consider the typical use case for music in a home theater. Mainly, it seems to be less common to actually have a library directly on and managed through XBMC. More and more people are just streaming music to XBMC, or not using music much outside of a portable system. It's not an excuse for the bugs, but it does help explain why music isn't on the same levels as videos in XBMC (not as many people testing, developing, interested, etc). Plus, this is a total guess/assumption on my part. For all I know, I'm the only one who doesn't use XBMC for music.
I simply don't want a gui that needs the tv on to listen to music. I have a few squeezeboxes around the house.
I do not use XBMC for music just because it won't organize it as I want. I may be spoiled but I would like to have some more freedom just like the advancedsettings.XML allows modification of time names (for movies).
(2013-12-01, 08:08)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]For someone who is a software QA tester, he wasn't very competent at reporting problems...

Would explain the current state alot of games ship in.
(2013-12-01, 04:46)DFergATL Wrote: [ -> ]Recently the CBS news app has stopped working

Not XBMC's fault.

(2013-12-01, 04:46)DFergATL Wrote: [ -> ]no Netflix

Not XBMC's fault.

(2013-12-01, 04:46)DFergATL Wrote: [ -> ]no Amazon.

Not XBMC's fault.

(2013-12-01, 04:46)DFergATL Wrote: [ -> ]I accidentally hit a key on my remote and changed the OSD for music and have spent 3 days trying to change it back, with no luck.

So basically your most recent frustration boils down to this? Since "the OSD for music" doesn't tell us anything it's hard to tell what exactly you did, but it sounds like you changed the media view mode to something else. Not exactly an obscure feature and if you have been using XBMC for this long without knowing how to change it, you should probably give up.
without seeming like I'm trying to beg you back into the fold, I will say that XBMC is like any fine musical instrument. The learning curve may seem steep to some but once you have it tuned, oiled, seasoned, fitted, and formatted to suit your needs it absolutely rocks like no other!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6