Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Apple tv 1 and 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I was wondering how well xbmc runs on apple tv 1 and 2. Is there a difference in speed between the two? I am just a little confused why apple tv 2 sells for around $250 while the apple tv 1 is nowhere near that?
Thanks
I only use the ATV1 myself but I swapped my wifi card out with the broadcom crystalHD card so I can hardware decode stuff which makes it more useful. The ATV1 also has a built in HD so if you wanted to store stuff on it you could locally. So I can only speak for the ATV1 but it runs XBMC great for me...
I'll leave others to explain the technical differences, but I am baffled by the ATV pricing. I bought an ATV2 in July 2011 for £100 (in the UK obviously). Being a little gobsmacked by your post I just checked our Amazon site and they're now flogging them for £260 (pounds for god's sake). Things normally need to be autographed by the Queen or buried for a few millennia to increase in value like that. So much for depreciation.

All I can say is xbmc is running really nicely on my ATV2, but I'm not sure I'd now pay £260, even with Liz's signature on it.
ATV2 is the only one that can be Jailbroken , that's the reason for the price tag on it.you picked it up when they were shipping from apple.... apple now ships atv3 that are useless in our circles
Not sure whether to laugh at the insanity of it or cry at the missed opportunity! Goldman Sachs no doubt sell futures based on jailbreaking of the ATV3.
ATV1 (wiki) without BCHD (wiki) < ATV2 (wiki) < ATV1 with BCHD

ATV1 is actually an x86 processor, while the ATV2 is an ARM processor. So ATV1 is a light computer and the ATV2 is a phone, basically.
(2013-05-24, 23:45)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]ATV1 (wiki) without BCHD (wiki) < ATV2 (wiki) < ATV1 with BCHD

ATV1 is actually an x86 processor, while the ATV2 is an ARM processor. So ATV1 is a light computer and the ATV2 is a phone, basically.

Can you install a BCHD in an apple tv 1 or did some come with it and some come without it? If you can install it, does this one work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM7001...1c309fd491
You can install it yourself but you lose wifi (which is no loss really for use as a media player).
Thank you, how well does atv 1 with the BCHD installed stream movies on xbmc?
You'll have to wait for someone to answer who actually has one Smile

However I understand that with the acceleration added by the Broadcom card they are pretty capable.
Very awesomely. My main HTPC is an ATV1 + BCHD, currently running Crystalbuntu 2 (though OpenELEC is an excellent choice as well, but I needed some additional flexibility in the Ubuntu envorinment). It's even easy to add back wifi via a USB dongle. Installing the BCHD card is super easy, just like installing RAM.

If you can get both ATV1 in good condition and BCHD for under $100 then it's a good deal.
(2013-05-27, 02:58)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Very awesomely. My main HTPC is an ATV1 + BCHD, currently running Crystalbuntu 2 (though OpenELEC is an excellent choice as well, but I needed some additional flexibility in the Ubuntu envorinment). It's even easy to add back wifi via a USB dongle. Installing the BCHD card is super easy, just like installing RAM.

If you can get both ATV1 in good condition and BCHD for under $100 then it's a good deal.
I currently have an ATV1 and BCHD in the process of shipping over here. By in good condition what do you mean exactly? Does the performance of the ATV1 start to degrade over time? Also I am very interested in what kind of a dongle you use to add wifi back?
Thanks for the help.
If it has a huge dent in it, I would be worried that someone didn't take good care of it. If it looks good, turns on, and everything works, then it should be fine. It's kind of an all-or-nothing thing.

Stuff that can die:

First thing to die is normally the HDD, which is a standard PATA 2.5 drive, and you can even replace it with a USB drive.

Once I had to replace the HDD cable. No idea why.

I have no idea how it happened, but someone cracked some chip-looking thing on the mobo of an ATV1 I bought on ebay. I think they opened it up and dropped it.

I have heard of the HDMI controller dying, but I have not seen it myself (that I know of).

It is possible for the device to completely die, as some have been running non-stop 24/7 since 2008. Apple stopped making them sometime in 2010. Some people kept them on since 2008 and those still run fine. Some people have lots of cats and the insides fill with cat hair.

I have a referb from Apple from 2010 that has been running almost daily, 24/7, and besides the HDD cable I mentioned above, it's running like a champ.

Stuff like that
Does ATV2 support hardware acceleration?
for h.264 in spec encoded files (progressive) it is supported - yes.