Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 1080p HD Video Streaming Buffering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm new to this site but have struggled to get my video playback of Blu-ray rips I own to work without buffering or studdering. I will start with all the information I know as I don't know where the problem exists after spending the last week trying to troubleshoot reading through the forum and other websites.

I am using an Intel NUC with 8GB of memory and a 64GB SSD connected via Ethernet to a powerline A/V adapter and running Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon running XBMC version 12 as my HTPC.
I am streaming movies across the network from my desktop which is a Windows 8 PC with 16GB of memory, an i7 860 CPU, and an internal eSATA 3TB Seagate Barracude drive that only has my movie library on it. The WIn8 OS is on a separate 128GB SSD. This desktop is also connected via Ethernet to another powerline A/V adapater.

I have connected using SMB based on following the instructions on various websites.

Using the D-Link and/or Netgear Powerline Utilities I show a minimum of 80Mbps which I'm told is more than sufficient bandwidth to stream a hi-def 1080P file.

I have ripped all of my blu-rays to my 3TB drive using MKV container with h.264, VC1, etc. with audio streams DD 3/2+1, TrueHD 5.1, DD 2/0.

My receiver is connected to my HTPC via HDMI and is an Onkyo SR705 which has Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, THX Surround EX®, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES™, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding and it is HDMI Version 1.3a. The output to my video projector is HDMI, too.

I've tried modifying all the different audio parameters in XBMC and go between sound and no sound at all, but in all cases I get the buffering or studdering picture issue.

Please, let me know what additional information would be helpful as a starting point.
The only thing that I thing of that could cause this behavior is the bitrate of the movie-file.
Under "normal" conditions, I would say that 80MBps are more than enough to stream movies, but as you ripped the movies by yourself...
What Bitrates do you have in your movies?
If you don't know, than tell us how big the movie-file is, and how long the movies goes. Of course only the one (or two) which are causing the buffering.
debug log (wiki)
(2013-05-24, 22:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ][debug log]

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=21843
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=21844

6144kbps = bitrate
Set your output to Analog (xbmc system audio settings) and set your speakers to 2.0, you can enable Boost Volume on downmix.
Don't use a passthrough device.

There is something Audioish going on.
Fritsch , isn't line 926 in that first log important ?
Code:
16:45:37 T:139649900877568   ERROR: VAAPI - unable to initialize display -1 - unknown libva error
Yes, that is next.

He has enabled vdpau (without having such a device) and also vaapi (without having the intel-vaapi-driver installed). But what I saw was the AC3 opening of the device, which won't work cause pulseaudio hoggs it.
Check. I knew it seemed unlikely you would have missed that Smile