Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With latest libva-driver-intel, eventually VAAPI-MADI should work, but we still have some issues with the field vs. frame rate. But Gwenole and Haihao are working on that. The preliminary patch by AndyFruniss also works quite well in that case.
(2015-03-30, 12:39)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]With latest libva-driver-intel, eventually VAAPI-MADI should work, but we still have some issues with the field vs. frame rate. But Gwenole and Haihao are working on that. The preliminary patch by AndyFruniss also works quite well in that case.

Already very happy with vaapi-bob on baytrail, other 2 are still jerky playback, but still vaapi-bob lower the cpu load dramatic Smile
For completeness, get me:

dpkg -l |grep vaapi | pastebinit

DISPLAY=:0 vainfo | pastebinit

please
(2015-03-30, 20:43)devilstrike Wrote: [ -> ]Already very happy with vaapi-bob on baytrail, other 2 are still jerky playback, but still vaapi-bob lower the cpu load dramatic Smile

vaapi-bob is better that normal bob, it does spatial edge detection/interpolation so that diagonals are not jaggied, and on HD content it's harder to see that it does bob on the horizontals.

For upscaled SD - the edge detect/interpolation is still good, but you can more easily see the instability as well.

Of course doing better than a normal bob means more GPU usage - not as much as madi/mcdi - but still significant with HD.

FWIW temprature wise on my J1900 constant running 1080i30 high butrate h264 with madi or mcdi so that GPU is permanently 90% gets just as hot (65 C) as It would maxing CPUs/mem with mprime torture test 3. Still well below the 105 c that sensors calls as high/crit for me.
Latest kodi nightly from this repo has API 1.9.6, while PVR addons have API 1.9.4.

kodi-pvr-iptvsimple doesn't load because of this. Is there any solution?

Thanks.
I'm a little bit confused now. I really love the j1800 and j1900 boards. I read through the post but got lost a little.

1) At the moment, j1800/j1900 is working with Kodi and there are no hangups, or functionality limitations in terms of stability?
2) if I got this correctly, it is already possible to use hardware deinterlacing for 1808i (BOB) and there will be even more advanced hw deinterlacing available for BYT?
3) are there any limitations on BYT that seams to be hard to solve
4) from my understanding, if 1080i deinterlacing is working, then 1080i LiveTV should also work?

I'm asking this as I would like to build a few HTPC's for my family and friends and j1800/j1900 is far the best option in terms of power consumption, price, noise and performance. (I always build my system, never buy already built boxes)

Many thanks!
(2015-04-07, 09:11)gurabli Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a little bit confused now. I really love the j1800 and j1900 boards. I read through the post but got lost a little.

1) At the moment, j1800/j1900 is working with Kodi and there are no hangups, or functionality limitations in terms of stability?
You need a special kernel with a workaround for the turbo issue. I have build such a kernel (see some pages before).

Quote:2) if I got this correctly, it is already possible to use hardware deinterlacing for 1808i (BOB) and there will be even more advanced hw deinterlacing available for BYT?
It can do 1080i50 with VAAPI-BOB. MADI is still worked on by intel - but we are nearly there yet.
Quote:3) are there any limitations on BYT that seams to be hard to solve
It's much too slow to do correct upscaling ....
Quote:4) from my understanding, if 1080i deinterlacing is working, then 1080i LiveTV should also work?
See above.

Why not getting a chromebox?
Many thanks for clarifying all this!

Quote:gurabli Wrote:
I'm a little bit confused now. I really love the j1800 and j1900 boards. I read through the post but got lost a little.

You need a special kernel with a workaround for the turbo issue. I have build such a kernel (see some pages before).

Then I understood correctly. I think it is not an issue to build a kernel. Any ideas when will this be included in Ubuntu kernel or it will not be included at all? Maybe OpenElec will have this kernel by default?
I can build this special kernel for any Ubuntu release or Kodibuntu?

Quote:Quote:
2) if I got this correctly, it is already possible to use hardware deinterlacing for 1808i (BOB) and there will be even more advanced hw deinterlacing available for BYT?
It can do 1080i50 with VAAPI-BOB. MADI is still worked on by intel - but we are nearly there yet.

I believe my ION1 is aslo capable of max hardware BOB deinterlacing for 1080i50, and my image is excellent on ION1 HD livetv content (not sure about this, will have to check). If BYT can do the same quality as ION1, if will be perfect.
MADI is way better then VAAPI-BOB in terms of quality?

Quote:Quote:
3) are there any limitations on BYT that seams to be hard to solve
It's much too slow to do correct upscaling ....

OK, but this is a problem only for SD content to 1080 upscaling, not? What is the best that BYT can do in terms of upscaling live SD tv to 1080? I think my ION uses bilinear or bicubic, not sure again, not home to check. Lanzos3(optimized) is not working.

Quote:Why not getting a chromebox?

I like to build my systems by myself, and although a Chromebox does look good, I always have better systems for my needs built by myself. If it was used only as Kodi, then perhaps OK. BTW, which CPU I need in Chromebox that would do a proper job (the cheapest version)?

EDIT: the updated kernel will work with j1800 BYT with two cores or the one with four cores only?
All is in OE already. Kodibuntu relies on ubuntu itself.
(2015-04-07, 10:44)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]All is in OE already. Kodibuntu relies on ubuntu itself.

Many thanks!
These are excellent news for BYT. Thanks for the great work.
Once I have the board I will check the image quality compared to ION1, deinterlacing of 1080i50 and upscale for SD. Although, it is very subjective. To me my ION1 quality is awesome, I really do not need more. I use it on a 42" Panasonic plasma screen. Livetv 1080i50 is excellent, and almost all the SD tv content is crap, but I don't think it is because of the resizing, but sd is just poor compared to HD.
720p mkv looks excellent, and 1080p as well.
I don't know if this is the correct topic to ask this, but are the HQ scalers limited by hardware or would it be possible to implement a 4-tap Lanczos or Spline36/64?
(2015-04-07, 11:06)Boulder Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if this is the correct topic to ask this, but are the HQ scalers limited by hardware or would it be possible to implement a 4-tap Lanczos or Spline36/64?

its possible and ofc its limited by the gpu performance.
(2015-04-07, 10:02)gurabli Wrote: [ -> ]MMADI is way better then VAAPI-BOB in terms of quality?

MAADI is significantly better than BOB in quality terms, and MCDI improves on both of them. The area where MADI and MCDI outperform Bob is in vertical resolution. If you watch a native interlaced show with an on-screen logo and switch between them you'll usually see the vertical resolution decrease with Bob. The difference becomes more marked the larger screen you view on. I love my Chromebox because it does MCDI on 1080i content and delivers excellent picture quality.
(2015-04-07, 11:06)Boulder Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if this is the correct topic to ask this, but are the HQ scalers limited by hardware or would it be possible to implement a 4-tap Lanczos or Spline36/64?

If and only if(!) everything goes well. We will have an EGL implementation soon. This way we could save use the full rgb conversation and therefore save cycles. VPP itself also got support of a lanczos3 upscaler, which then - in theory - could be used ... but - to be honest - i would not invest a single cent in a baytrail anymore. BDW chips (even celerons) are arround the corner and a lot of boards with better gpus will arrise. BDW itself is not that much better to HSW, if you already run a real hsw, i would wait for SKL. But buying a BYT now ... is just money thrown out for nothing. I'd go with a chromebox, if you really want to invest now.
(2015-04-07, 12:59)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]If and only if(!) everything goes well. We will have an EGL implementation soon. This way we could save use the full rgb conversation and therefore save cycles. VPP itself also got support of a lanczos3 upscaler, which then - in theory - could be used ... but - to be honest - i would not invest a single cent in a baytrail anymore. BDW chips (even celerons) are arround the corner and a lot of boards with better gpus will arrise. BDW itself is not that much better to HSW, if you already run a real hsw, i would wait for SKL. But buying a BYT now ... is just money thrown out for nothing. I'd go with a chromebox, if you really want to invest now.

OK, I got the point. What do you mean by real HSW? Is the desktop version G1820T (http://ark.intel.com/products/78956) enough to do the proper deinterlacing and scaling without the BYT limitations?

However, BYT itx boards are without fan, extra low power 10-20W total power consumption, excellent CPU power for Kodi (and even for a Plex server with one or two simultaneous transcoding), and all this for very affordable price. I consider it ridicules to get an expensive i3 CPU for a HTPC when my good old Atom 330 + ION1 is still doing a great job in terms of speed and quality (and that includes livetv 1080i as well).