Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-01-09, 15:10)posixx Wrote: [ -> ]@fritsch: ofcourse i get that, but shouldn't this be an automated process?

only if the machine its built on is running Wink
I took the liberty of going on holiday and shut everything down. Builds will continue tomorrow.
@wsnipex ha! that explains a lot. thx!
(2014-01-09, 23:43)posixx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-06, 20:50)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Yes, it's definitely due to the player switching from 25fps to 50 fps

surprise Smile I have fixed it for you.

@FernetMenta when i viewed a 720p/24fps movie and return to livetv, currently both movieplayer and monitor values indicate 25fps and i see some stutter / bad de-interlacing. I have to reboot to get the 50fps back. Is this also fixed in the fix you did?

After having new builds again (tnx wspinex!) indeed the flashing problem is gone. Also i don't experience the 25pfs problem i mentioned, so looks good! Will test some more the upcoming days
(2014-01-08, 14:22)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Yadif is no part of VAAPI. It's part of ffmpeg. Newer ffmpeg version have the BBC Deinterlacer which is a little bit better (in an academic way), but also needs more power.

For the rest: I did not get your question.

Is there a way of switching between YADIF and the Weston 3-field BBC de-interlaced? Weston 3-field, being non-adaptive, is very consistent. (The BBC rolled it into FFMBC as they use FFMBC extensively in their broadcast chain)
It's not yet in our ffmpeg, won't come prior to gotham.

Weston's CPU Load is again increased - not sure if it will run great. To add: In general this code can use everything ffmpeg wants to do afterwards. So when Weston comes into our internal ffmpeg, we need an additional flag and just set the relevant options.
(2014-01-11, 13:23)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]It's not yet in our ffmpeg, won't come prior to gotham.

Weston's CPU Load is again increased - not sure if it will run great. To add: In general this code can use everything ffmpeg wants to do afterwards. So when Weston comes into our internal ffmpeg, we need an additional flag and just set the relevant options.

Thanks. Be interesting to see how it copes on something a bit more powerful than a Celeron (YADIF is very welcome on my 1007U) - say an i5 or similar. Be great to avoid having to use separate video cards for decent de-interlacing on more powerful HTPC builds.
Personally - I am that impressed with yadif quality, that I am not sure I might realize the new method on a every day basis, while really watching LiveTV.

Edit: Which "decent" video card do you use normally? That is better than Yadif?
(2014-01-11, 14:05)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Personally - I am that impressed with yadif quality, that I am not sure I might realize the new method on a every day basis, while really watching LiveTV.

Edit: Which "decent" video card do you use normally? That is better than Yadif?

I used to use a reasonably high-end ATI with Vector Adaptive de-interlacing under Windows (not using XBMC) which I was pretty happy with. Didn't compare it to YADIF at the time.

Not dissing YADIF - but people I trust about image quality in (or formerly in) BBC R&D (Richard Russell in particular who was one of the developers of probably the best PAL decoder in the world) are very complimentary about Weston 3-field (particularly because it is not adaptive and thus very consistent) The clever filter designs seem ingenious (suspect patents scared most people off), and the developer - Martin Weston - has worked on some of the highest quality broadcast standards conversion kit you can buy (from Snell). If they can achieve what they've achieved with PAL decoding (in comparison to a lot of the dreadful commercial PAL decoders) I trust their views.

The FFMBC Weston 3-field implementation was added to FFMBC (and I think then migrated to FFMPEG) as the BBC run lots of their broadcast kit using FFMBC (particularly their Raven video servers)

http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/pal/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_T._Russell
Jep. Will be the first thing I activate, when we bump ffmpeg :-)
Richard is an interesting chap to follow. He has some good stuff on his website about downscaling (often more complicated than upscaling!) Richard is very good on aliasing (and the importance of avoiding it - particularly in downconversion)

http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/filters/fdscale.html

Also the later bit of this discussion is quite interesting :

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/...JY4yohGz6E
(2014-01-11, 12:19)posixx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-09, 23:43)posixx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-06, 20:50)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]surprise Smile I have fixed it for you.

@FernetMenta when i viewed a 720p/24fps movie and return to livetv, currently both movieplayer and monitor values indicate 25fps and i see some stutter / bad de-interlacing. I have to reboot to get the 50fps back. Is this also fixed in the fix you did?

After having new builds again (tnx wspinex!) indeed the flashing problem is gone. Also i don't experience the 25pfs problem i mentioned, so looks good! Will test some more the upcoming days
@FernetMenta: i'm still experiencing the 25fps fallback scenario. Today the problem appeared after a resume from suspend mode. Both fr and fps values were 25fps instead of 50fps. After a reboot it was OK again..
Check xbmc-xrandr output after resume. It could very well be that the Driver did not get the correct EDID info after suspend.
@fritsch where can i find this / what's the command? Will do then after it happens again.
/usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr | pastebinit
dmesg | pastebinit
cat ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit
Would I be able to substitute the ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master with ppa:team-xbmc/ppa from the OP guide as I would like to install 12.3 over 13.0, only because I have a shared database and have other 12.3 xbmc clients? I'm assuming 13.0 brings with it a new db version and such.