Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It wasn't libva at all. I've just resolved it.

The new HWE is a piece of junk, I admit. After a system restart I can't get GUI back, so I had to remove the Trusty HWE and reinstall the Saucy one. VAAPI still wasn't working (what a surprise...), so I purged all of your XBMC stuff and installed the official version. Now everything's working fine, VAAPI is back.

Anyway, there's no newer version of libva for 12.04. It isn't part of the HWE.
what do you mean by "I purged all of your XBMC stuff and installed the official version"?
Reinstall this ppa and it will continue to work ...
@wsnpiex: I turned off wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master ppa and purged xbmc and xbmc-bin packages. Then I added team-xbmc/ppa and installed xbmc with recommended packages. That's it. Everything is working fine. The funny thing is, that in the beginning, official XBMC (13.0) wasn't working well with VAAPI. That's why I used your ppa.

@fritsch: Why should I reinstall this ppa? It was the cause of my problem.
No. That's what i wanted to say. A non working X after reboot speaks for fucked up libs. Non of those are changed by this ppa.
@fritsch: You misunderstood me. The non working X after second and so on reboots (could not write bytes: Broken pipe) was caused by Trusty HWE as I said. (HWE versions contain newer Ubuntu distribution's kernel, Xorg and mesa.) After replacing the Trusty one with the Saucy one, everything was back to normal. Except for VAAPI, which still wasn't working. So I removed XBMC (which was installed from wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master ppa), and installed it from the official ppa. Now VAAPI is working fine. So it definitely was the latest XBMC alpha's fault.
@megema, man i can assure you, if you manage to get a clean install of trusty as explained in post 1, and using this ppa, you WILL notice a diference... the code used here for deinterlacing is superb. and works excelent on IVB.
trust me, if you have the time, make a backup of your stuff and give this thread a try, i have it working with a crappy G1610 celeron cpu and it works perfect.. i even use it without a fan XD.

JJ
@Juanjo: Thanks, but it isn't that simple. This machine isn't just a HTPC and I can't install 14.04 because my fancontroller's software - Phoebetria - isn't running on it. 12.04.4 will stay for a while.
that sucks Sad

maybe you can try to get the proper mesa libs installed.. i couldnt do it on this machine when it had 12.04. and xbmc from official repos installed, i had to do a clean install for 12.04, but it worked.. then i moved to 14.04 when it came out of beta.

Good luck!
How much of all of the above is in OE 4.2 beta 1, cause on the latest 4.07 (latest non beta) i still suffer from I suppose buffers getting full and glitches start to appear after 30 min (more or less) of playback of both, mpeg2 and mpeg 4 live tv channels.

I always assumed all of the above is already in Openelec...
Note for everyone still running ubuntu 13.10/saucy: Its been officially deprecated and no more PPA uploads are allowed. You need to upgrade
Am I right in thinking that the OpenElec Helix development builds (http://snapshots.openelec.tv/) contain some of these updates?

On an Intel J1900 system when set to Multithreaded software decoding and deinterlacing to "De-interlace" (rather than bob, weave etc) - is this a yadif method of deinterlacing?

Either way it looks much better than VAAPI and Bob.
Deinterlacing == yadif.
Is it only available without VAAPI?

(which isn't an issue because the CPU can handle everything fine)
No - just read the first post ...