Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Movie Set Management / Tags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am a little confused about movie sets and tags maybe someone can explain the differences. I read the wiki pages of the movie sets and tags. I understand you can have multiple movies assigned to multiple tags names but with movie sets only one movie assigned to one set. Why not replace movie sets and just use tags instead? I seen this discussion http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160517 and i thought this might be a valid question.
Your message would be better served in the 'Feature Suggestions' forum, and as you have alluded to this movie set-management thread, which has a pretty concise explanation of things by some of the more advanced users and developers, it's kinda pointless to start a new thread.

For simplicity:

Sets should really be called 'Box Sets' as one would purchase a whole set of movies e.g. James Bond. On scrape, the movie database supplies the box set information and this is included with the metadata, subsequently this flag can be teased out in your database. As everyone knows, this flag can be altered, added, etc. but as users who previously used box sets for 'personal collections' have found, Frodo no longer supports multiple sets (warnings were given).

Tags have been introduced, and allow for user sets and collections of any description and multiple tags within the metadata is allowed . e.g. You could tag all the non Sean Connery films from the box set James Bond and tag them 'losers'. Box sets still offers full backgrounds and set covers from the set window, which might explain why tags are not used as much. the use of tags is new while sets have been around for a few generations of XBMC and 3rd party additions have evolved to take advantage of movie sets. Set's are now seen as something that should be automated, while tags reflect an extension of smart playlists. XBMC is still a work in progress so if there's something you could see done better and have suggestions to improve, then by all means post in the Feature suggestion forum.
Thank you for your reply and description. I tried to add the question to the thread but I don't have access rights. I didn't see the features suggestions before so maybe if someone thinks this should be moved there they can move it. Instead of using the set feature just replace it with tags so you can have multiple tags per video. I hope that made sense.
(2013-05-26, 16:13)m1975Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your reply and description. I tried to add the question to the thread but I don't have access rights. I didn't see the features suggestions before so maybe if someone thinks this should be moved there they can move it. Instead of using the set feature just replace it with tags so you can have multiple tags per video. I hope that made sense.

Sets should stay.
They are completely two different things.
(2013-05-26, 16:19)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-26, 16:13)m1975Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your reply and description. I tried to add the question to the thread but I don't have access rights. I didn't see the features suggestions before so maybe if someone thinks this should be moved there they can move it. Instead of using the set feature just replace it with tags so you can have multiple tags per video. I hope that made sense.

Sets should stay.
They are completely two different things.

OK, I'm just trying to understand better.