Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Bluray playback not smooth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have a problem when I play bluray movies.
They are unstable, slow, not smooth. This goes for both video and audio.

I have all my videos ripped to a NAS.
Also Blyray videos.

My HTPC is an ASROCK ION 3D and the video driver is NVIDIA latest version.
I am running Frodo 12.2

In the SETUP, VIDEO, PLAYBACK I have:
Rendering method: Automatic
Allow DXVA2

I used EDEN version before and it played Bluray without a problem.

When I use the "O" option when playing I see that DXVA2 is running.

Any hint of what my problem could be ?

Petter
debug log (wiki)
double check your audio settings.
Thanks.
I will check the audio setting.
Just read that there is a major difference between how the audio work from the Eden version.
I will check it and if that does not help I will link up the debug log.
Thank you guys for pointing me to the right direction.
I had problem understanding how audio could have anything to do with video playback but you were right,.

Using this posting:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

I managed to find out what setting was uncorrect in Audio Setting:

DTS-HD compatible amplifier was ON

My Yamaha reciever seems not to have that option so by turning it OFF everything worked fine :-)

Can anyone please tell me biefly what DTS-HD means ?
Does it have anything to do with HDMI 1.4 ? As I know my reciever only manage HDMI 1.3

Thanks for your help.
DTS-HD is a fairly new (compared to straight DTS) audio codec for lossles high definition audio. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD

It is common on bluray. It works over HDMI 1.3 but your amplifier may not support it. It will drop back to the DTS core, which your amplifier probably does support (unless it is ancient).
Yes my reciever support DTS but what happened when I enable DTS-HD was that the video was slow and unstable and the audio was almost gone. Just heard some clicking noise. The display on my receiver showed surround but it was flashing like it was trying to switch between different modes. Well....anyway...I just turned it off and now its working well.

I have a newer Yamaha reciever in another room, also with the same ASROCK HTPC and XBMC and I will try out DTS-HD there and see if it works.
Yes XBMC will not function properly if the amplifier/tv it is plugged into does not support the audio it is trying to output. If you tell XBMC your amplifier supports DTS-HD and the amp doesn't, XBMC will fail in the way you have seen.

To get XBMC to downgrade the audio to DTS you need to tell it that is all the amp supports, and the DTS core stream will be output, and everyone is happy.

Hope that makes sense.

Your newer amplifier's manual ro specs should tell you what it supports.

Oh and the other factor in the mix is whether the audio part of your video card, and it's drivers, support DTS-HD.
if you htpc is a ION1, then it does not support DTS-HD and TrueHD