Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmcbuntu - AMD - Video driver headaches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last weekend I installed XBMCbuntu clean.
In the meantime I only did an "apt-get upgrade" and then I was not able to login anymore.
Well, was able to login, but then the screen did go dark for a second, and send me back to the login screen right away.

I found the ".xsession_errors" file, which says something about 'ATIFGLEXTENSION', but I'm trying everything to get this to work, but this is my 5th reinstall in a week, just cannot get the drivers to work properly.

Contents of the .xsession_errors log:

Code:
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  155 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  66 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  13
  Current serial number in output stream:  13
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)

The only solution I see so far, is to never upgrade anything through "apt".
But that is not a solution. My video-card is "AMD Radeon HD 7480D" integrated in my "AMD A4-5300" APU.

Global specs overview:

Code:
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 PRO4-M
CPU/APU:     AMD A4-5300 Boxed
RAM:         Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M1A1600C9
PSU:         be quiet! System Power 7 300W
HDD:         Western Digital Green WD20EARX, 2TB
Cooler:      Scythe Shuriken Rev. B

Two days ago I did another clean install of Xbmxbuntu 12.10.
Right now I made my own backup shell script which now created daily backups since I succesfully configured everything, the only problem is, I cannot run "apt-get upgrade" because I know it will screw up my video drivers again.
Does somebody have soms tips on this? I want up to date drivers and an up to date XBMC.
Here is a howto for you: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

If you need personal help, join #xbmc-xvba
costs: two gummibears / half an hour
I remember that tutorial since I have followed a lot of tutorials on this issue.
My findings with any of them:

- Not being able to login anymore (like the situation I mentioned above)
- Main menu of XBMC responding terribly slow (key press takes a few seconds to respond)

I don't remember which result belongs to which tutorial.
then you'd be the first one that doesn't get it to work.
When you update your system with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade you probably also update the video driver to a newer version. This could cause the issues.
Perhaps next weekend, I will try the update without the video drivers.
I hate this, because I want an updates system where I can just run upgrades system-wide.

I already found the ATi updates in the update list, and froze them, but I need to make some time for it, my HTPC does daily backups of important filesystem paths, so I am prepared. If anything goes wrong, I can revert a backup directly trough SSH and reboot.

The frustration here is that with my current installation, I sometimes see horizontal distortion lines within movies (with fast scenes etc.), so I think I need to update my video card drivers anyways.

Next weekend I will experiment with some solutions online, and keep reverting backups and updating until it works, or until there is no possible solution but keep excluding the video updates.