Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New to XBMC - How to Setup My Zotac Id41
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys, first of all: i am new here, so hello everyboy.

I just ordered my Zotac ID41 and would like to ask which version of xbmc i should install. Whats the difference between openelec xbmc and the windows 7 version?

I would like to use the zotac only as a Home Entertainmet system. What i would like to do is:

Listen to music
Watch HD Movies and Tv Shows
Youtube
and surfing some Tv-channel homepages to watch shows mostly flash content.

i think i can surf those homepages with the windows 7 version, but what about openelec is there such a possibility?

Thanks in advance
Fallafel
OpenELEC can do all those things you want very well except possibly web surfing. There is an Opera browser add-on, I have no experience as to how well it handles stuff like Flash pages. There are other Add-ons that allow access to many of the TV channel website shows. I would give OpenELEC a try first, mainly because you don't need to carry all that overhead that comes with Windows, including the slower startup time. You don't need an HDD/SSD for OpenELEC either, a good USB flash drive will suffice.

If OE isn't right and you want to avoid windows, you can try XBMCbuntu. You'll have no problems getting a good browser experience there, but you may find configuration a bit 'non-intuitive" if you haven't been around Llinux much.