Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Newbie question - struggling to create library!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I'm a long time XBMC but struggling with a really simple thing!

I can't seem to create a library! I want to share the library using MySQL so did all the backend config for that bit, no problem.

My problem is on the "master" machine which has the storage directly attached to it (XBMCBuntu), when I go to Videos, I do not have an "add source" button unless I go into the "Files" menu. Then when I add the source (in my case a directory on a USB attached hard drive) it creates

Code:
<source>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/media/Elements/Videos/Movies/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>TV Shows</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/media/Elements/TV Shows/</path>
        </source>

which looks OK to me!! but I do not get a "TV Shows" or "movies" scrolly option, nor does the database get created. I've placed the advancedsettings.xml as correctly as I can.

any pointers please?
once you add the source you need to set content and select a scraper to use and after that it will go and populate a db.
EDIT I just checked and I HAVE set the content, BUT when it asks me if I want to refresh info for this path, nothing happens! It does NOT go off and download the information for each movie/tv show. Then if I go to "set source" again, it says "none" as if it has ignored my choice.

any ideas?
Can you post a debug log? so we can see your advancedsetings.xml and what happens when you try and refresh info.
Before you get too far, this won't work even if we get it working. That is, it won't work with MySQL (wiki), because that is a local file path, and you need a network file path that will be true for all XBMC installs.

You need to share the USB drive over NFS (wiki) or SMB (wiki) on XBMCbuntu, and then add that network path, even to the local machine.
Thanks ned but it refuses to make the content of even an smb source stick, i uploaded a log of me trying to set the the content of my movies source to content "movies". Hope someone can advise http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=26253
That's probably not the issue, since your log shows it not even being able to connect to the MySQL server.

Code:
10:04:56 T:3007625024   ERROR: Unable to open database: Family75 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.0.17' (111))

I would double check the MySQL side of things and make sure the "xbmc" user has correct permissions granted to it.
Also on the DB side of things you have this defined under video:

<name>Family</name>

Due to versioning it appends a version number i.e. 75 so I would suggest you remove that <name>Family</name> tag and just let it create its default DB name which will help you in the future on upgrade. this tag was required in like version 10 I think but since 11 they want with a more standard DB naming convention.
Thanks for the responses. I used --skip-grant-tables in MySQL to try and avoid security problems.

EDIT: I reinstalled MySQL and removed --skip-grant-tables, and ensured that user "xbmc" can create databases. No dice.

I took the <name>Family</name> out of advancedsettings.xml and still no dice.
What version of MySQL are you using? Hopefully, it's not 5.6.x as there are issues with that version and XBMC. Version 5.5.3 works just fine.
5.5. I really don't know where to go from here, I'm stumped!
It really looks like your mysql server is not accessible at all from the xbmc machine.
Make sure your bind address in my.cnf is setup with 0.0.0.0

bind-address = 0.0.0.0

I had issues one time where it was setup for 127.0.0.1 so only localhost could connect to itself...
This was on a standard linux distro I am not sure how XBMCBuntu is setup...
Thanks for the tip, I had my bind-address was set to the IP of the SQL server....
so I changed it to 0.0.0.0, restarted MySQL, restarted XBMC and still no joy.

Let me just sense check how I am iterating each time...

I go on the machine from which I want to export the library, I go to a source and choose "set content" and see if it goes off and gets the video information from TVDB etc....

I then go onto another XBMC in the same network and add the same source, and check the XBMC log and see if it connects to the database. is that the right way to test this?
No, not at all and this is confusing me. So if I now understand correctly, before you started you already had a working XBMC with sources scraped and information visible ?\

What you want to do is modify 1 XBMC machine to use MySQL and make sure the tables are being created and everything is working on that machine.

Only then do you start adding second machines to the mix, by copying the advancedsettings.xml files over.

Did you read HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL/Setting_up_XBMC (wiki) ?
Pages: 1 2