Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Getting channel #'s working via CEC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a Raspberry Pi, running Raspbmc 12.2, connected to a Vizio "Smart TV", Model E291I-A1. The TV supports CEC, which I see as absolutely critical for making the interface more accessible to my non-techie wife, and her family when they visit.

I've been super impressed at how well CEC just works right out of the box, however I'm stuck on one thing: unless/until I can get variable skip steps working on XBMC, it seems the next best alternative is entering timecodes during playback so to jump to specific times.

That feature works great on my "wife/guest UNfriendly" micro keyboard/airmouse device (connected to the Pi via USB dongle), however the number keys on the Vizio remote don't initiate any XBMC activity via CEC: instead they start appearing on a Vizio-controlled overlay, without actually doing anything.

I've done a good amount of research on this already, and tracked down a handful of sample remote.xml files, however I've yet to see one featuring the number keys.

Anyone have success doing this, especially on a Vizio?

Thanks!
Sigh. I think I've answered my own question.

Turned on debugging and watched for CEC commands, turns out this TV doesn't transmit number key presses via CEC. It also doesn't transmit some other keys I was hoping to remap, including the color keys and the "Back" key. CEC settings on the TV are seem to be limited to an on/off switch.

Bummer. Guess it's time to consider a basic MCE remote I can connect directly to the Pi.