Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC DLNA server not recognized by Sharp TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have Sharp Aquos LC60LE841S TV connected to my home network. It works fine with some DLNA server that I have.
I wanted to set up the TV to play content from XBMC v12.2 DLNA server (running on WinXP PC). Unfortunately, the TV doesn't "see" the XBMC server at all.

However, some communication happens between the XBMC and the TV. I recorded the "conversation" using Wireshark.

I would appreciate your help.

Many thanks!
Vasili
DLNA is not a standard that is implemented with a great deal of consistency.
Interesting. Does that mean that DLNA standard is poorly defined or just that different vendors don't implement it right? How can understand if the problem on XBMC side or TV side?
If they implement it differently then who is to say which is wrong?
Isn't there a standard "UPnP AV" that defines "the right" way?
Indeed. UPnP AV is the proper standard. DLNA is basically nerfed UPnP AV, where they took a bunch of useful stuff out, and tried to make it DRM friendly in some cases.

That being said, this issue could be on our side. Could be a conflicting service on the network, funky router settings, or gremlins. Sometimes the XBMC UPnP server seems like it just doesn't want to show up. Sadly, I don't really have any useful advice on how to troubleshoot this.
I believe the plan is to support vendor specific upnp-profiles. This way all those implementations of the protocol could be supported.
Never "buy" any tech product on the promise of what it will do in the furture, and that includes XBMC!

Someone still has to work out where each consumer product differs from the "standard" (such as it is) and implement transcoding to codecs and containers that the product suports. Then once you have last years model(s) sorted you have to figure out what they changed in this years model(s). Ultimately you have to deal with the fact that Sharp only design products to interact with other Sharp products. Ditto every other manufacturer. It's all very frustrating.
There are situations where XBMC will have a hard time seeing another XBMC via UPnP, but other UPnP servers don't have an issue on the same network, so it's not always a vender-specific issue.
Just as a side comment, I have a Humax terrestrial TV receiver/recorder which offers DLNA access to it's recordings. One of my PCs (WinXP) can only see the box with any degree of predictability if another PC (Win7) is also running - both are running TVMobili DLNA servers, and I use VLC on each to watch recordings.

Life's too short sometimes to sort these things out
(2013-06-11, 12:32)dandnsmith Wrote: [ -> ]Life's too short sometimes to sort these things out
Amen to that. I often say to people in these forums "XBMC is way smarter than your Smart TV". Be done with your vendor problems and put XBMC in front of all your screens.
I have similar issue but with one difference.
My Aquas 70" did see XBMC server and played content from it.
However it stooped and not seeing anything anymore.
Same device has no problem with PlayOn and Servio.
Any suggestions?

TIA, Bigll