Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Advice on 2-bay NAS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a 2-bay NAS and would like some recommendations based off my needs.

I really only want it as a RAID 1 2-bay NAS.
It would be where I store my movies, tv shows, pictures, etc...
I would then access it by other computers in my house.

A few I have looked at are:
D-Link 320
Buffalo LinkStation Duo
Synology DS213j
QNAP TS 212

I know some are more expensive, like the Synology or QNAP, but for my needs, does it matter if I go with a cheaper one, like the Dlink?

Thanks in advance!
I used the Buffalo and the Synology myself.

I moved to the Synology from Buffalo to get additional features like running SickBeard,Couchpotato and SAB on the NAS as opposed to having a dedicated standalone server to do that.

After a while I built my own unRaid box that has more than 2 bays for that reason only but for the most part you can get the basic functionality out of any of those and be happy.
I've used the Synology for a few years now... back then two 2TB disks seemed like a lot of space. After adding another 2TB drive to my desktop....
Now I am building an unRaid box.
I would suggest careful comparison of the cost of the Syno to the cheapest unRaid build. Then consider the expanability of the unRaid setup.
Once you fill your Syno you are faced with buying another or scraping it. Aslo, you can NOT just pull the disks out and stick them in your new unRaid server.
So if you are in my shoes you will then need to buy additional hard drives to transfer the files from the Syno into the unRaid server.
So now I feel like I wasted money on the Syno and it is costing me more now to move to unRaid after the fact.
Look at the HDD compatibility lists of the devices you might want to buy and make sure those drives are available and affordable.