Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Picking the right OS.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I`m planning on upgrading from an ATV2 to a NUC HTPC. I will probably wait for the haswell NUC to become available but in the meantime I want to plan out the rest of the system. My biggest dilemma so far is the OS.

I mostly plan on using XBMC to access local content stored on a NAS, however I also want to use addons such as sportsdevil and moreover I want to be able to use Sopcast and also possibly flash based streams for sports (something I currently cannot do on the ATV2). Given this usage pattern, do you think I`m better off with windows, openelec or maybe some other flavour of Linux?

Thanks
Personally I am a fan of OpenELEC because I like my XBMC to feel like an appliance and XBMCbuntu because it still enables me to use the box for other tinkering stuff besides XBMC. but in this case I will advise Windows.

It sounds you have a pretty versatile package of demands, and Windows is probably the easiest solution for you to integrate those demands into a good user experience. Additionally there are some content options (netflix, etc) that currently are easier to satisfy under Windows.
Also, to make it feel more appliance-like you can use XBMCLauncher to load XBMC as the Windows shell, along with controlling shutdown/startup behavior during sleep/resume (to avoid freezing and performance issues).
Thanks for the advice. Was hoping to take the plunge with OpenELEC but it seems that I will have to settle again for windows..