Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sound issue through HDMI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
i'm connecting windows XBMC trough HDMI to Panasonic TV...
if i connect HDMI first, then launch XBMC, sound ok, but when i launch XBMC before connect HDMI - no sound and no option for Panasonic. Second method is more comfortable for me, so is any fix for this?

P.S. XBMC v10 (and v11... maybe) didn't had this issue
No, you must be connected before starting XBMC
Sorry for digging out this old post. But I have the same problem (with kodi 14.0 of course).

If I start Kodi _before_ it's connected to my TV via HDMI, Kodi starts without an error message and uses the analog audio card of my PC. Then I think "oh, wrong sequence", close Kodi again, switch the screen to TV via HDMI and start Kodi again. Why doesn't Kodi remember, that I prefer HDMI which is now available again and uses it?

I always have to go then to "System/Settings/System/Audio Output/Audio output device" ... this are a lot of clicks and submenus when I'm sitting on my couch. And it's definitely to many clicks for my wife ;-)

Hope anyone has an idea how to resolve this problem.
It does, however the device is unavailable when Kodi starts up so it goes with what is available, which would be the audio card.
of course, I understand that Kodi uses the only audio device if the one that have been used before is not available.

but I watch movies on my TV only and would like to define a standard audio-output, that will always be used, if it's available. I don't think this is hard to understand, isn't it?

I even tried to replace the config file by an batch-file every time Kodi starts. but then I always overwrite all other config-modifications, if I have some...
Why on earth would you keep unplugging your htpc?
because my htpc is my workstation pc at the same time. this pc is placed with an 24" disply in my working room, but connected with a long hdmi cable to the tv in the living room.

so I use my computer the most time in the working room and switch the graphic-card-output by a keyboard shortcut to the tv in the living room.

btw I also tried to have both, tv and computer-display, connected at the same time ("clone image") to avoid this problem. but my computer-display has a different solution as my tv (1920x1200 vs. 1920x1080). And the current version of the nvidia-driver has no option to use my computer-display without the black letterbox-rows, during cloning the picture.

As you can see, I already spend a lot of time with this problem and tried a lot of things.
I'm probably missing something, but if you need to use a keyboard shortcut to switch output then surely you can do this before starting Kodi?
With nvidia you can download your TVs edid to the computer and set the driver to use the downloaded edid. Then the tv can be off when you start the computer. Whether this will help you I don't know.

Perhaps your real solution is to spend about $150 on a dedicated htpc.
@jjd-uk:
sure, I can pay attention to do all the steps in the right sequence. but then I start Kodi a little bit too early, because the tv-signal isn't already send via hdmi to my pc and I have to stop/start Kodi again, and do the a.m. config again. this isn't very comfortably if you're in the mood to watch a movie. Kodi has such a great interface and the usability is so great if you're sitting on the couch with your remote control ... then it's not the right time to reconfigure your hard-/software ... especially if you have a wife that only want to have a nice evening with you ;-)

@nickr:
sounds interesting. since now I've never heard about edid. but I'm not sure how to do, what you suggest. what do you mean when you say "with nvidia"? I didn't find something like a "download-edid" button in the driver. or do I need an extra tool from nvidia?
Really reading the thread I see your are on windows, I have only done this on Linux. Nvidia's documentation is usually pretty good though.
You might be able to do that with MonInfo which creates a custom display driver with EDID overrides, alternatively something like Autohotkey maybe able to help create a script to switch outputs and then launch Kodi with only one key press.

Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with either.
OK first of all: thank you for your help, finally I found a solution for my problem:
To be honest, I'm not sure which of the both way was finally the one that made everything work, because I tried both thing at once. The first and easiest thing was:

Set "Kodi > System > System > Audio output > Audio output device: DIRECTSOUND default"

The more difficult thing was the tutorial, that I've found here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...39#3861544
In a nutshell:

1) Connect your HDMI-receiver (power on)
2) Windows > Device Manager > uninstalled Nvidia High Definition Audio entries
3) Reboot Windows 7/8/8.1
4) Re-install (automatically) the generic HD audio driver as High Definition Audio Device (not Nvidia High Definition Audio, as they were deleted in previous step)
5) Right-click each generic High Definition Audio > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer for driver software" > "Browse"
direct the browse to the Nvidia HD audio folder at > C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\320.49\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\English\HDAudio
(The Nvidia installer must be run at least once before for the HD audio folder to be there. I have version 320.49. Your version may differ.)
5) Click next and repeat steps for each generic High Definition audio drivers
6) Right-click the loudspeaker-icon in the windows systray (beside the clock) > Playback device > right click the HDMI-device and "set as default device"

>> If that device is not available, because you're just using your PC-display, your normal soundcard will be used. If you connect your HDMI-TV/Reveiver and start Kodi, the sound will be send through HDMI.

BTW, if you also have an nvidia-card and need a cute app to switch your display via shortcut, I can recommend "Monitor Profile Switcher" (http://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/)
I configured:

<alt-gr><down> as: go down to the tv in the living room
<alt-gr><up> as: go up to the computer-display in the working room
<alt-gr><right> as: switch to dual-view-mode with my second monitor
You can try this, basically turn HDMI off and on again: HDMI on and resend the EDID info.