Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Discs in server spin up when browsing library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I've noticed that, when I enter my Movie or TV shows library, all my HDDs get spinned up. I have been searching an there are a few thread, but I still don't understand it.

As I understand it, there shouldn't be a reason to spin up the discs, since everything it needs is cached. Is there any way to turn "feature" off?
It's been asked before, but for the life of me, I can't remember what is needed to be turned off. Could be an add-on, or maybe the attempt to extract thumbnails and other data. Debug log (wiki) should help.
Hi Ned,

When should I get the debug log? All disks spun down and then browse the library until the disks spin up?

Thanks!
Yes.
I asked the same question some time ago!
Here is what got recommended to me, but I haven't tried it.

Please report back with your experience :)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165727
Heh, you found the post Ned couldn't remember Smile nice job.
Nah, someone actually went into it and tested stuff. That could be the fix, but I don't know for sure.
I'll check that post! Will report back in a few days. Thanks!
Hi again,

so I tested to disable "Extract thumbnail and video information", but that didn't cut it. I still can wake up the HDDs just by browsing the Movie library.

I've posted a log file here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=29828

My test: when I started XBMC all discs except sda were in Standby, then entered movies -> still standby. I then began to move in the movie library and discs sdb, sde and sdf spinned up.

I don't much about the log, however I've seen some interesting things:
-At 22:35:22 T:139926746167040 DEBUG: script.tv.show.next.aired: ### next list: 9 shows ### the tv.show.next.aired seems to look into my FlexRAID_POOL. Waking up my disks?
-Latter, I see many references to assets.fanart.tv. Are they waking up my HDDs??
22:36:46 T:139926970496768 DEBUG: GetImageHash - unable to stat url http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/81...a272b6.png
22:36:46 T:139926970496768 DEBUG: CurlFile::Open(0x7f433c4c9d70) http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/62...87f33c.png

I'll start disabling the next aired plugin. However, I'd be happy if someone looks into the log and tells me if that was really the problem and/or sees something more.

Thanks!
Can you explain a little bit more about the structure of your player / server and the discs ?

Am I correct in guessing that the disks you referenced are in the same machine that is running XBMC ?
Hi,

yes, currently my server is my player too, but when I used a fully Client / Server approach over network, that happened too.

/dev/sda is where the system is installed, partitioned in 4 (root, home, swap and downloads and other data)

then I have 4 discs where data is stored (sdb, sdc, sde and sdf), which are Pooled using FlexRAID
I have a 5 disc where the parity data is stored, but it is not in the pool.

Of course, I realize sda will be spinning always, but the rest shouldn't, I guess.

Thanks!
When I enter the music library, it also wakes up the drive in which the music is in, so it's not specific with entering movies.
I seem to be getting the exact same kind of thing:

1. Video library - stored on a file server with links to each folder defined in the video source, marked as TV or films, all scanned to the library
2. Movies - info pre scanned (Media Centre Master), TV XBMC scans the info from thetvdb
3. Database - MySQL on the same server as the files (data was previously Eden, upgraded to Frodo)
4. Players - openelec x3 plus Windows x4
5. Thumbs - using path substitution, stored on a share on an SSD in the same file server

With Eden, everything was great - thumbs scanned in and were stored in the shared thumbnails directory. Opening the Movie library gave a second or two pause whilst the (large) library loaded (SSD in the server, gigabit lan) and then it acted exactly as if all was local - the posters/banners/fanart all appearered near instantly, the SD/HD marks once scanned were in place. Performance was similar on WiFi too. The disks spinned up on on hitting play (4-5 second pause before it started each time).

With Frodo it seems broken. None of the art seems to be scanned correctly - it loses the SD/HD marks, and when moving down through the library initially no art appears, then 4-5 seconds later after the disk with the movie on spins up the art appears. Over time it's getting more and more broken and art is not appearing at all.

To see if it was due to the library coming from Eden, I've just created a new profile, rescanned the entire library (MySQL again, path substituted thumbnails) and the exact same thing is happening - missing info, no art. I'm about to revert back to eden and put up with the patched versions with DTS-HD support on that.

Any ideas ... i'm happy to provide any logs/config files if required.
Little bump here!

Can anyone say something to this problem? Was my log helpful? Was it not helpful?

If nobody is interested, can somebody give me a hint at what part of the code to look into and what to look for? I'm quite good with embedded C code, I may have a look at the code if somebody gives me a few guidelines of what to look at.

Thanks!
I'm really not sure, but maybe some of the Auto wake on lan (wiki) stuff might give a hint (also http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124340 )

If I understand correctly, when enabled, it will log whenever it needs to wake things. I'm guessing that also could be used to see what is trying to access stuff on your drives? Or something?
Pages: 1 2