Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: wake pc from sleep with ir remote control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I have recently bought one of these remote controls to control my htpc:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDOWS-REMOTE-C...3f2630662e

I like it a lot, but there is one problem. I can put my pc to sleep pressing the power button on remote, but I can not wake pc up with remote (I have to use wireless keyboard to do that).

I have done some research on this problem but so far I havent find any solutions to my problem.

Is it even possible to wake pc with ir remote? If it is please give me some ideas how can i fix this issue (by the way I am running windows 64-bit on my htpc).
Thanks![/size]
How about you send the system to suspend instead of full shutdown? Then you will be able to start the system with your remote. You might have to configure your bios accordingly.
Thats how I am using it. Power consumption is very low for me. About 1 or 2 W.
Also the system is like insta-on when pressing the remote which is kinda cool.
Sleep = suspend.

Yes it is possible to wake a PC from suspend via remote, I've been doing it for years.

That eBay link doesn't mention whether your remote is a rc6 remote/receiver which, from memory, is needed to wake a PC from standby. Also have a look in the windows advanced power options and device managfr to make sure waking from that device is enabled.
BIOS needs to be configured properly, but so does the OS. In Windows, you'd need to make sure the in your Device Manager the remote is able to wake computer from sleep.
(2013-06-19, 05:21)jhhoffma Wrote: [ -> ]BIOS needs to be configured properly, but so does the OS. In Windows, you'd need to make sure the in your Device Manager the remote is able to wake computer from sleep.

I have enabled it in device manager to be able to wake up pc but the problem remains. In BIOS I haven't found any setting related to this (I am using ASUS P8Z77-M motherboard).

Is any of you using this same remote and can wake up pc with it (I just want to make sure if it is even possible to do that with this remote)? If not could you suggest any other ir pc remote from ebay (under 15$) which will do the trick.

Thanks for all your help so far.
I'm using the same mobo in one of my clients and it works just fine. Not sure that there's anything that needs to be configured for it to work properly. I'd make sure it's connected to a USB2.0 port, instead of a USB3 as I've had some issues in the past
(2013-06-20, 05:00)jhhoffma Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using the same mobo in one of my clients and it works just fine. Not sure that there's anything that needs to be configured for it to work properly. I'd make sure it's connected to a USB2.0 port, instead of a USB3 as I've had some issues in the past

are you also using the same remote?
No, I use Rosewill MCE remotes on all my clients. They are RC6 compatible, but it shouldn't matter as long as Windows detects it as an HID-compliant device.