Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Scheduling PC Reboot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I use this particular PC as a dedicated XBMC machine. I'd like to schedule the PC to reboot every couple of weeks or so just to make sure that it stays "fresh". I don't know if this is a real concern but it will give me some peace of mind... Smile

I had my machine automatically rebooting every night but I think it was causing problems with XBMC because it was just forcing it to close. So even though I have XBMC set to start on bootup it was encountering problems probably 25% of the time.

So is there a way to schedule XBMC to properly close down before I have my machine reboot itself? That way Windows wouldn't just force XBMC to close but it would close properly.
Ive been force closing xbmc in both windows and Linux for years with no I'll effects, are you sure that's what's causing your problems?

To gracefully close xbmc you could use a jsonrpc command before you reboot.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=JSO...ation.Quit
(2013-06-19, 00:55)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]Ive been force closing xbmc in both windows and Linux for years with no I'll effects, are you sure that's what's causing your problems?

To gracefully close xbmc you could use a jsonrpc command before you reboot.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=JSO...ation.Quit

Hmmm... maybe its not my issue then. Sometimes the screen would just be black and all I could do was kill XMBC and relaunch to fix it. I'm also using focusbitch to ensure that XBMC stays on top.
Jusg to be clear does that happen on boot or on resume from suspend? Have you looked at the debug log (wiki) when it happens?
(2013-06-19, 01:03)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]Jusg to be clear does that happen on boot or on resume from suspend? Have you looked at the debug log (wiki) when it happens?

It appears to happen on resume from suspend. I'll check the log next time it happens.
When I used windows full time I used eventghost to restart xbmc on resume to prevent any problems like that.