Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best Application for Managing Movie Lists?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

Anybody ever see a movie trailer and think "gee, I want to see that" and then 2 1/2 years later you see it again at a redbox? You then re-remember that you wanted to see it but you completely forgot about it. Well...

If any of you are familiar with the website "goodreads.com" it's an awesome website to track your books. You can create custom "bookshelves" (aka custom lists). So for example, my bookshelves include:
  1. All
  2. Read
  3. Currently Reading
  4. To Read
  5. Stopped Reading

I was wondering if anybody knew of a website/application that did something similar for Movies. A lot of things I've looked into so far don't allow you to make custom lists. Or if they do, adding to those lists is not very practical when doing a large chunk of movies (IMDB). So for example, my movie lists would look something like:

HTPC (actual movies contained within XBMC, my library, my HDD)
I Own On DVD
Must Watch
Coming To Theaters
Favorite Movies
Seen It
1999-2000 Want To Watch
2000-2010 Want To Watch
etc.

So if anybody has any good suggestions for a website, or an application for a windows machine, apple device, android, or XBMC applications that already does this, I would really appreciate it. Of course it would be awesome to find one that integrates with all these various platforms, since I use all of them. Smile

Again, XBMC is awesome for your actual movie library but it does fall a little short (which I know isn't its intended purpose) when creating lists for movies you don't own.

Thanks!
I have seen an application that could do that, but cant remember the name. Will try and look for it again.

One suggestion, on the top of my head, not sure if this is something that can work/you would want to do. But how about creating those folders somewhere on your HDD, then adding the folders of the movie names, inside create a newtextdocument.txt and rename it to movie.name(year).stub

XBMC picks up these stub files as movies that you own on physical media, so it will scrape them to the library. You can then, by means of smartplaylists create sections for "I own on DVD", "Must Watch", etc. and depending on skin (Aeon Nox comes to mind) you can create a main menu item called movie lists, and pin all the smartplaylists to the submenu.
Yea, I've already done something pretty similar. But thanks for the suggestion. For physical DVDs I don't care to rip and put into XBMC, I've just created a fake .avi file inside a folder. Then I made a movie set called "DVD". When I want to browse my DVDs, rather than getting up off the couch Smile I can just go through the movie set if I want to watch them. --accomplishes the same thing.

The problem with this is that it's limited to XBMC and not very practical. Really, now that I've put a little more thought into it, ideally these list would be web based. So everything can sync. Again, much like good reads the website and then goodreads the app. Open the app on my phone, and mark it to watch in the theater. It's so weird that this hasn't been done. Is there not any demand for it?

I've found this app called utrakt. It looks like you can create lists. As you can see at this point in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...US9o#t=87s

BUT I only have an iPad and nothing else MAC. I would also love to manage it from PC or android phone....

If this isn't out there, maybe I need to create it?!
IMDB has a watchlist feature. When I see a movie review or trailer that I like I add it to my IMDB watchlist.

Now I just need to tie it into my torrent downloader...
Cant trakt.tv maybe do it?
Hello again, so I think I've figured out a pretty practical way to do this. Remember my checklist of what I wanted to accomplish? It needed to have/be...

Custom lists
Windows platform
Website platform
Apple platform
Android platform
XBMC platform (and keeps track of movies you don't own)
Syncronization between above

Well it looks like trakt.tv is the answer for now. It actually pulls off almost all of the above fairly well. Primarily, Trakt.tv is a "scrobbler" but also does a number of other things.

A scobbler is a nice feature (which automates your watchlist and other things). It's kinda like Last.fm. Now I never really understood the concept of Last.fm for music. I'm not an audiophile or music enthusiast so I always figured who cares how many songs you've listened to? Or why keep track of the 3 minutes it took to listen to a song? But for movies, it's actually kind of appealing to me.

ANYWAY, the only thing it doesn't really follow through on is the Windows platform. Which is fine, all this would really do is speed up things and maybe make organizing things easier. Another area that it falls short in, is that it seems to prefer everything TV related over Movies. It's like the movie section was a second thought.

Here is a list of all the various platforms it's available on: (XBMC, media portal, PLEX, Boxee, etc.)
http://trakt.tv/downloads
It seems there are two main ways to use it in XBMC. First is the regular add-on:
http://trakt.tv/downloads/xbmc
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138745
This is more of the scrobbler side of things. But then there's also this add-on for XBMC:
Trakt.tv List Manager
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=161319
Which is exactly what I was looking for. It keeps these lists completely separate from your XBMC movie library. It also downloads all the movie info too! Once you finish watching a movie, there is a pop up that allows you to rate the movie. Which is kinda cool.

Now the Apple and Android apps are a little different. It looks like there are a number of different companies/apps that use track.tv as their backbone and then build off of it to create their own apps. This is where it seems to fall short a little bit. Either my android phone sucks or these apps suck. I've tried a number of them and like I said most everything seems to be geared toward TV first and movies second. The same page as a above (http://trakt.tv/downloads) lists the different apps that use trakt.tv.

Traktoid - TV only.
Series guide - mainly tv, limited movies, no custom lists
McTrakt - seems promising, but it says my phone isn't compatible with it.
TVShowFavs - Only TV
Mizuu - More of a content managment system (like XBMC)
Moviis - Good, but limited lists (collection list, watchlist, no custom lists available)
Traktato - only TV
anpMovies - phone isn't compatible but it says in the description of the app "In future versions of anpMovies lists can be created which add movies or series of interest". So this seems like it would do the trick.

unlisted apps:
TraktApp - collects all my movies from XBMC, but no custom lists. Kinda bad UI.
MovieTrakt - looked promising but never could really load my collection, watchlist, no custom list
Send 2 Trakt - barcode scanner that lets you add to lists
y u no use couchpotato?
I thought couch potato just looked for movies to download? I've never used it...