Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbox One Skin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I continue to have issues with this fresh install, we'll talk about a script. I appreciate it.

I don't intend on having any problems. I find it strange that my system (AMD Phenom II X6, 8GB RAM & a GTX550ti) would not be able to handle the settings. Even more strange that I'm the only one lol
Alright then and your system should be running everything perfectly as your spec is much higher than the required one for XBMC. It must be a problem in XBMC or something else that is running. What version are you running ? As i am running Frodo v12.1 and i have never experienced any problems. I did experience a problem on the dashboard once when i tested out the twitter service for XBMC but that was because the service crashed.
Also with your fresh install i recommend installing this skin first before any plugins/services as it could be something wrong with a plugin/service that you are using.
And you will also need to make sure that you have .NET Framework 4 installed if you want to use the web browser section of the skin.

One more thing which way are you running XBMC ? just from clicking on the shortcut or as a shell on login ?

As i have always ran XBMC as a windows shell because this uses much less ram and cpu usage, also other windows tasks won't be running in background.
I actually don't know what u mean by a 'windows shell'… sounds interesting. I'm pretty nerdy but I guess I missed that class lol

Oh and I was running 12.3. Setting everything up now, I'll report back ASAP.
Hello toyota12303

Very nice,I look forward to the new update.
Unfortunately I got stuck with my skin, I spend a lot of time on testing various programs. I try to solve the mystery of the snap options.I have good progress but the bad side is that, when I create exe file with a specific resolution
if somebody have only slightly different resolution, snap is looks bad and is not on position.

Best Regards
..and I'm pretty positive it was something wrong with my installation… I started getting other small errors recently and also, even after a fresh XBMC install with no plugins or addons, running the skin would crash on the dashboard.
@ADHDMedia : A windows shell is basically a desktop environment. The default one has e.g. your start menu, desktop icons ect. Each user that you create the registry will map a shell to all of them.
With a small tweak in the registry you can actually select what shell you want for each user. For example you could have XBMC running on one user when you log in. And you could have the windows desktop on another. Selecting an alternative shell also increases performance as you don't have as many windows tasks running in the background. This is how i have my system set up. Each user has it's own shell running 1.Desktop 2.Steam 3.XBMC 4.XBO_Shell.

if you are interested in doing this then you can download a little tutorial that i have created from here :

http://www.mediafire.com/view/dvd3sygga6...README.txt

Also i recommend installing XBMC version 12.1, i haven't tested out 12.3 but out of the rest of them i have found that 12.1 has been the most stable for me.

@senna99 : Hello senna99

Thanks!
Have you ever looked in to autoit ? it's a free program that easily lets you create .au3 scripts that can do pretty much anything! Also you can compile the script in to an .exe that will work with any windows based system.

With this program you can even move/resize windows, remove their borders any many other properties. This would be really useful for the snap feature.

As for the resolution problem you can use a small line of code in autoit that will run different programs for different resolutions.

For example with my snap feature that i have created it will take a 720p picture if your resolution is 720 and a 1080p one if your resolution is 1080.
Here is a little line of code that i use as an example :

$Width = 1280
$Height = 720
If $Width < @DesktopWidth Or $Height < @DesktopHeight Then
Run("C:\Guide\SnapItem720p.exe")
Else
Run("C:\Guide\SnapItem1080p.exe")
Endif

Check this out if you are interested : http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/

The update has just been released, links have been updated on page 1!

I have also changed the name so that the setup is run straight away and the skin settings have been setup again from scratch.
Also i have changed the required GUI version for XBMC, last time it was using 5.0.1 and apparently with Frodo you should be using 4.0.0.
If anyone experiences any problems running it then let me know and i will upload a small fix that will change the GUI version.
So using this 'shell' environment, how does multitasking work? Like for example, if you're in your XBMC shell, and launch Steam, does it work? Or does it have to jump to your other user?
Everything is managed from XBMC, so if you wanted to launch steam then you can go in to the skin settings, set the location of the steam.exe and then launch it straight from the steam section on that user.

I always use it this way as you can control your computer with just your Xbox controller. E.g. navigate steam, play games, navigate xbmc ect.

Here is a little video that i have previously created launching steam from XBMC :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ITvFeVUk84

In this video i use a little script that i have created to close XBMC when steam is running, and then when steam closes XBMC opens back up because this then increases performance with gaming.

I can send you a copy of the script if you are interested ?
I'm very interested. Please do. This is exactly how I use my PC, fully controlled by Xbox controller. The way I have it setup, steam pretty much has to run in the background.

Would this work the same for other advanced launcher games? Like if I wanted to launch an exe directly with advanced launcher, let's say BF4, which then loads up Chrome with the server browser. Would this all still work with shells?

The way you have that set up is really cool man.

FYI, everything is kosher on my new install. I was even able to copy my whole XBMC folder over. Only thing I have to do to get back to where I was is fix all the file associations with advanced launcher.
Sure! where is your steam.exe located ? and where is your XBMC.exe located ? as i will need to edit the steam script a little to work on your system.

And yeah it all works fine with advanced launcher!

One other thing i have also recently created a small program that will close what you are currently running and return to the dashboard when the Xbox guide button is pressed on your controller (if steam isn't running). I can send you a link for that as well if you are interested ?
I've been googling the last couple of days looking for a way to map my guide button! Lol you're a mind reader.

Let's put it this way: I'm using my PC the exact same way you are, so anything cool that you use to make it work better, chances are I would want it as well lmao!

I'm checking the locations, I don't know where steam is anymore lol

Ok I've got:

F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

&

C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC
Could you do the same with other apps? Hulu Desktop for example? That location is:

C:\Users\Anonomys\AppData\Local\HuluDesktop\HuluDesktop.exe
I also use OnLive, that would probably benefit from this script as well.

F:\Program Files (x86)\OnLive\OnLive.exe

Thanks bro. If you can only do Steam that's cool too.
Hahah, it took me months to find a solution for the guide button!

Another thing that would be perfect for anyone using a controller. I am currently developing is a shell for windows, this uses a modified version of my XBMC skin for the interface and has a massive set of scripts that will manage everything on your system for you in the background.
You can use a controller for anything at any time,
The shell cleans temp files, defrags ram, sets unused services to manual, and overall optimizes your system to the max.
By default windows uses around 1-1.5gb ram, with my custom shell that i am currently developing it uses 450mb and at the lowest i've got it down to 320mb.
Cpu usage is around 0-1% at idle.
Optimized web browser for Xbox Controller - Kylo.
registry tweaks to improve fps in games.
And much more!

It is still in a really early version and isn't very stable yet. But it's starting to come along nicely and should hopefully be released some time soon for testing!

Here is a little program that i have created that will install all the required files for the Xbox Guide button :

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8yt35m...boxGui.exe

You just run through the setup, and then instead of launching XBMC from the XBMC.exe you will need to navigate to C:\Launch.exe and this will launch all of the scripts alongside XBMC.

If you are creating a shell then you will need to set the shell to C:\Launch.exe and not XBMC.exe

Here is a copy of the steam script :

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d89vaa.../steam.exe

This will close XBMC and launch steam, once steam is closed then xbmc will start running again.
To launch it from XBMC go in to skin settings and set steam.exe location, then choose this .exe instead of the default one.
(Steam can be launched from the steam section in this skin)

Don't use the steam script actually i have just noticed i misread your previous post i set it up for C:\ but yours is on F:\ 2 seconds i will quickly change it around.

Also i will quickly create one for onlive and Hulu, they are very easy little scripts to make!
I'm ready to test that soon as it's ready to be tested lol sounds absolutely incredible. I see no need for an XBox One when devs like you are out there lol

Awesome man. So these scripts will work even if I launch the programs from my own shortcuts? Like the hulu and OnLive apps I launch with advanced launcher, as there is no 'built in' section for those apps…?