Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [SOLVED]Slideshow problem: XBMC for digital photo/media frame
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to use XBMC/openelec (intel build) for a digital photo/media frame.

I want the slideshow viewer to start on boot to show both pictures and short home videos. The slideshow viewer works quite well to show both the pictures and the videos when I start it manually. However when I start the slideshow viewer with a script only the pictures turn up.

I put a autoexec.py file under the userdata catalog.
This is the script I use:

import xbmc
xbmc.executebuiltin("SlideShow(/storage/pictures/slideshow/)")

(the slideshow catalogue contains both pictures and videos.)

Another method to start the slideshow is this:
Install a skin.
Then put the following line into the file in "/storage/.xbmc/addons/skin.transparency/720p/Startup.xml":
<window>
<onload>SlideShow(/storage/pictures/ur_image_folder)</onload>
</window>

The results are the same. Only pictures shows up.

I have of course selected the "Show video files in listings" box

Can someone please suggest a solution to this problem? I have been struggling to get it working for half a day...
This thread only talk about video playback for slideshow.

The video playback for Slideshow works fine when it is started manually. However the Slideshow only shows pictures when it is started by a script.
Found a solution (openelec):

Put a autoexec.py file under the userdata catalog.
This is the script I use:

import xbmc

xbmc.executebuiltin("ActivateWindow(Pictures,/storage/pictures/slideshow/)")
xbmc.executebuiltin("Action(Play)")

This starts both the video and the picture slideshow at boot.

(the path will look different on other OS's. However I believe if you use xbmc.executebuiltin("ActivateWindow(Pictures,Pictures)") it will work for all OS's. The autoexec.py might also have another placement and in some systems this file is named autostart.sh)
I also would like to use this. Auto-refreshing playlist on new files would be great for this. Bit this isn't possible, right?
Since this is just reading a directory it will always be auto-updated. I think you can also use an external drive.
This is a great workaround and find. I just finished a fix in interfaces/PlayerOperations.cpp in the XBMC source to enable essentially the same thing using the json-rpc interface.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1451611

I really think features should be more uniformly implemented between GUI and interfaces, so hopefully we can get fixes like this into master.
To support your statement, I think missing slideshows and pictures over upnp is a really nice-to-have for xbmc in general and more specific, a picture frame. I also would like to point out the poorly gui-options to alter GUI-slideshow behaviour.

BTW: do you consider using a cli server xbmc like vicbitter made for updating libraries? Should be doable by the right person(s). Maybe compiling a configured for xbmc picture frame ffmpeg and running just the needed libs when needed. Ideally I would use a cheap single core arm CPU with a high res panel since I believe the slideshow currently runs single threaded on the CPU, not utilizing the GPU.

I real like sharp's Wallpaper Mode that essentially turns your TV into a digital picture frame whenever the TV is off. You’ll be able to display your digital pictures on the TV screen at a reduced light level that requires very little power. You can set on-and-off times as well, depending on when you want to take advantage of this option.
Hello,

i'm using this solution (on Frodo), works very well!
But if I need to set some properties to the slideshow? For example, the duration of a image? Or if I need to put another layer (image) to the current video/image (like a water mark)?

Thanks! Wink
Hi

I want to achieve much the same using a Lenovo Tab 3 10" tablet as a wireless photo frame. So an Android device. I have mapped the source to my Windows 10 server in 'Pictures' on the tablet and can manually select that source and start a manual recursive slideshow.

But I'm clueless about how to adapt the above to my situation. Can anyone help please?

Cheers.
Just talk about this topic for slideshow playback.