Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xbmc with external HDD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello. I tried XBMC with a linux system. For my video database I added somes local folders. Everythings worked fine untill I added an external HDD. This HDD has different folders with videos. I can add one specifc to the database. But XBMC also adds the whole external HDD to the database without my permission. What can I do to ensure, that only one specific folder is added to the database and not the entire HDD?

Thank you for your help!
When you added the external drive as a new XBMC media source, did you do so at the drive level or at a folder level (within that drive)? You can use the "Edit source" option to view the currently defined path to that source.
Hi,
you already noticed: a newbie (to this forum).

The thread is old but not outdated.

I use debian testing and xbmc frodo

My setup consists of several external HDDs containing not only multimedia data.
As stated in the start posting: Source listing lists external HHD-partitions with their volume size although they are mounted withi the main directory tree ("/"). And I cannot find a way to remove these annoying entries.
The context menu for these HDD partitions is different to manually added sources: There is no option to remove the source but only to remove the pertition saveley. If I would do this, the actively added sources would point to nowhere.
Since xbmc appears not to be designed for classical music, I cannot use database mode and will define my own directory structure. But unwanted and "unremovable" entries in the listing are (optically) destroying my structure. 1)

Hence my question: How can I remove the partition entries?

Thank you for helping and best regards from the newbie from Vienna

1) Just to make clear how my structure should look like:
xbmc-Category "music" -> classical -> beethoven -> symphonies -> Symphony #1 -> London Symphony Orchestra -> <sound data>
xbmc-Category "music" -> classical -> beethoven -> symphonies -> Symphony #1 -> Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra -> <sound data>
No answer...

Perhaps I have to be more precise:
Skin: confluence

I do not want to have my external drives listed (like here: Image ( full size ) red arrows )

I cannot find the place where I can disable the listing of the drives.

And: where can I manipulate the bread-crumbs (green arrow), so that they display the complete path?
OK
Since there is no answer to my question xbmc will be unusable for me.
I think that listing of drives, mounted to the tree anyway, is nonsense.
I give up.

Bye
Remove them from the sources.xml file in your Userdata folder, maybe backup 1st though in case of problems.
Please learn some patience, not everyone will necessarily have the knowledge to help and this being open source software no one is getting paid for being around here so you won't always get an answer quickly. Probably didn't help that you jumped onto the back of an old thread and probably would have got more attention if you'd created a new thread detailing your problem.

I've now provided what I think is the answer to your question and merged the threads.
(2013-07-01, 12:52)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Remove them from the sources.xml file in your Userdata folder, maybe backup 1st though in case of problems.

Unfortunately drives are not listed in my userdata/sources.xml file (see code). There I would have found it.
I could not find the appropriate code in the system files (/usr/share/xbmc/..)

Furthermore the context menu gives no option "remove source". Only "remove safley" which unmounts the drive and thus makes the contained sources unavailable. This behaviour was alredy described in Ash_Housewares' posting as well as in my first posting.
Example: After clicking "311.1 GB drive" the breadcrumbs show the directory name where the drive is mounted (in this case Music - Files - sdb9). I would expect that I can actively (!= automatically) add "sdb9" (!= 311.1 GB drive) to the list of sources - then it will be removable via context menu.

Code:
<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
    </video>
    <music>
        <source>
            <name>Mozart - Duos - Joseph Fuchs, Violin - Lilian Fuchs, Viola - Divertimento in E-flat major - Grumiaux Trio</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/home/herbert/musik/Mozart - Duos - Joseph Fuchs, Violin - Lilian Fuchs, Viola - Divertimento in E-flat major - Grumiaux Trio/</path>
        </source>
    </music>
    <pictures>
    </pictures>
    <files>
    </files>
</sources>
Sorry but I've no idea then, I use XBMC on Window and when I add an external hard drive only the source paths I've added show.
For the sake of someone else who might be able to provide support on this, please list your actions for adding the source and include a debug Log_file (wiki) of you doing it.
Oh & it would probably be best to start over when generating the debug log, so nothing is listed under Files and the Sources added as if from scratch.
(2013-07-01, 14:56)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]For the sake of someone else who might be able to provide support on this, please list your actions for adding the source and include a debug Log_file (wiki) of you doing it.

I did not add the sources "311.1 GB drive". They are automatically listed. This might be coded in binary files.

The logfile is here

The relevant lines might be these:
Code:
15:19:43 T:140545421178816   DEBUG: Selected UDisks as storage provider
15:19:43 T:140545421178816   DEBUG: UDisks: DaemonVersion 1
15:19:43 T:140545421178816   DEBUG: UDisks: Querying available devices
15:19:43 T:140545421178816    INFO: UDisks: Added /sdb9
15:19:43 T:140545421178816    INFO: UDisks: Added /sdb1
15:19:43 T:140545421178816    INFO: UDisks: Added /sdb2
15:19:43 T:140545421178816    INFO: UDisks: Added /sdb6
15:19:43 T:140545421178816    INFO: UDisks: Added /sdb7
15:19:43 T:140545421178816    INFO: UDisks: Added /sdb8
15:19:43 T:140545421178816    INFO: UDisks: Added /sdb5
15:19:43 T:140545421178816    INFO: UDisks: Added /home
15:19:43 T:140545421178816    INFO: UDisks: Added /home/herbert/virtwin1
15:19:43 T:140545421178816    INFO: UDisks: Added /home/herbert/multimed

In my opinion, adding the devices is at least in Linux not necessary, since, if mounted, they are available anyway. (Note the device virtwin1! This is the datadisk vor VirtualBox and never will contain accessible data except for VirtualBox)
Was that log taken with your already configured sources? as I don't see the actions of adding the source.

I realise it might be an absolute pain in the next to do, but if you can please start over with no sources at all, then repeat what actions you do to add the Sources. The actions XBMC takes when adding the sources may give a clue in the debug log of what's going on.
OK
I deinstalled (purge) xbmc completely, deleted all personal files (~/.xbmc).
Then I reinstalled xbmc and switched on debugging and closed xbmc. xbmc.log.install
Next I switched to windowed mode and closed xbmc xbmc.log.win
Now I added a resource (fiddler on the roof) to music and closed xbmc xbmc.log
The source is still present.

BTW The drives were listed already before I did any manipulation.

I hope my manipulations are reflected by the logfiles
Ah ok, the lettered drives are shown without you doing anything Huh sorry I was reading it that they were only appearing after you had added a Source, hmm that definitely doesn't sound right.
Pages: 1 2