Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu "frodo" Cannot browse SMB Shares
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I am having an issue with XBMCbuntu (Frodo V12) where it will not allow me to browse SMB shares. All I see is WORKGROUP.
I have (3) Revo Aspire 1600's that I've been upgrading one by one. I upgraded the first two with the 12.0 release and everything seems to be ok.
I applied the 12.1 updates to these after the fact. (at a later time). They work fine. Altho I did check these 2 boxes and they have also lost the ability to browse SMB shares.. but still can access the shares that I set previously.
I did notice that the DNS servers that are being served are OPEN DNS and not the ones that my Domain controller is serving. I don't know how to change that as I am not a Linux person. Smile

I'm rebuilding the last box now. I swapped the drive to an 128 gig SSD and did a fresh destructive install of XBMCbuntu Frodo. I will not browse SMB.

Just to set the picture... I have a full blown Active Directory Infrastructure and a Qnap NAS that is AD integrated.
I have 2 Domain Controllers and my own internal DNS servers. One DC also runs DHCP. Each of the Revo 1600's gets a DHCP address that is a DHCP reservation.
The IP is fine, but the DNS is not what I am serving.

Has anyone else seen this?
I am not using NFS on my NAS. I want all 3 boxes to be identical.
I Need/want to use the AD permissions. Keeps the library intact and kids from files that they are not supposed to see. Smile

Chris
I thought we had removed those opendns servers from XBMCbuntu quite some time ago. (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146243)

I think you need to edit /etc/resolv.conf and add the correct domain name and DNS servers.
I am going to go out on a limb here and guess you know how to operate a windows machine.*
Use WinSCP to connect to the XBMCbuntu machine as root and edit the file.

You might also want to remove smbd and nmbd from the startup list of xbmcbuntu.
Code:
sudo update-rc.d -f nmbd remove
sudo update-rc.d -f smbd remove

This is because XBMCbuntu ships with a samba client set to share a few folders by default. It is also setup as master browser, causing it to constantly force an election with your AD.
I probably do not have to explain that you do not want this in you situation.

*joke, mcitp:ea myself Smile