Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: IPad 1 keeps dropping wifi connection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've searched the forums and can't find an answer ... but my apologies if I missed threads on the subject. Basically as soon as I start XBMC on my iPad 1 it drops the Wifi connection. I have tried it on several networks so I know its not my home Wifi that is the problem. Also my iPad keeps the Wifi connection just fine with all other apps. So I don't think it is the iPad.
I think I should have posted this in the ios support forum, sorry. If that is where it should be, can someone move it for me please?
I have discovered that when I play a video from a share on my network, everything works fine ... the iPad keeps the network connection OK. But when I try to stream a video using a plugin the wifi connection shuts off. It isn't any particular plug in either - it happens with all of them. I have no problem streaming using other iPad apps such as YouTube, any browser or the ABC app for instance. So something in the XBMC pugins setup is killing the wifi connection.
I don't have any iThingys to directly compare, but I have noticed that XBMC seems more sensitive to poor quality/intermittent streams than, for example, a web browser.
I can tell you that this is not a common problem. I am running xbmc on ipod4, ipad1, ipad2 and atv2 for testing purposes using different ios versions and have not experienced those wifi disconnects. Sounds more like a wonky jailbreak to me.
I have been doing more tests. I have the same problem with my android cell phone. I also tested the iPad with XBMC on another WiFi network and it worked. So it's not an issue with the iPad. It must be something on my WiFi network. However my Windows 7 HTPC, which also uses WiFi has no problem with XBMC. Also my iPad and Android phone have no problem with steaming anything else like YouTube over my WiFi. So I am at a loss. I have tried my iPad and cell phone right next to the Access Point and still no joy ... they work for a few seconds and then the WiFi connection dies. What's more on both devices the WiFi will not re-establish on it's own once it has died. I have to switch the WiFi adapter off and on again to reconnect. Strange it only happens with a combination of my WiFi and XBMC. Any ideas what it could be or how to test it to find the problem? WiFi connection to the devices looks to be strong. I've also tried continuous pings to various IPs and speed/latency look good.
I would try iperf to see if you have a bandwidth difference between the win7 PC and the problem devices (though you need something on a wired connection to act as iperf server). If there is it may be down to something like a difference in wifi channel or protocol (IPv4/IPv6?)
Failing that, I guess post a debug log and hope somebody spots something?