Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Do ALL video files have to be in separate folders?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm sorting through my video files which are currently on separate external hard drives before transferring them to my HTPC and I know that movies have to be in separate folders, but I was wondering with TV shows, especially anime and tokusatsu (Japanese superheroes) ones if each episode needs to be in separate folders within the one for the main series or can I just have all the episodes for each show within the main folder for each show; for example, a show like "Pani Poni Dash!" and have the software recognise a show that way?
The only thing that has to be in a separate folder is per show. After that, you can have every episode in a single folder, even if it has more than one season. Even movies don't require separate folders. So you should be fine.
(2013-07-04, 12:28)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing that has to be in a separate folder is per show. After that, you can have every episode in a single folder, even if it has more than one season. Even movies don't require separate folders. So you should be fine.
So it would be something like this?:
Media -> Anime -> Pani Poni Dash! -> Episode 1

I'm just surprised that every episode needs a folder within the folder for the show itself as I always thought that I could just put the episodes within the one folder for the show itself.
You can have multiple TV show episodes in one folder with the name of the series. No need for subfolders, key is to name stuff properly. I think you misread Ned's comment.
Media\Anim\Pani Poni Dash!\
-----S01E01.avi
-----S01E02.avi
-----S01E29.avi
-----S02E01.avi
Media\Anim\Next Show Name\
-----S01E01.avi

etc

The bolded bits are the important bits - show name as folder name, and then some way for it to know series and episode.

Personally, I do the following:

\Media\TV Shows\Show Name\Season XX\Show Name - SXXEYY - Episode Name.avi
(2013-07-04, 17:45)ConfusedTA Wrote: [ -> ]Media\Anim\Pani Poni Dash!\
-----S01E01.avi
-----S01E02.avi
-----S01E29.avi
-----S02E01.avi
Media\Anim\Next Show Name\
-----S01E01.avi

etc

The bolded bits are the important bits - show name as folder name, and then some way for it to know series and episode.

Personally, I do the following:

\Media\TV Shows\Show Name\Season XX\Show Name - SXXEYY - Episode Name.avi
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for showing me how it should be done exactly. ^_^