Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 3rd party repositories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

I have currently no way of knowing which channels are part of the approved (Superrepo) 3rd party repository and listed on the wiki manual and which channels are not acceptable even for discussion on this forum and are banned.

Does a list exist please that shows all channel names alphabetically with the relevant Superepo repository name at the side of it.

Without such a list, no -one can know which channels are unacceptable for discussion on the forum or which ones are listed on XBMC under 3rd party repositories.

Thanks for any help.
there is no approved 3rd party repo. Everything officially approved is in the team xbmc repository.
Thanks for your reply.

Now I am totally confused.

The 70 + 3rd party repositories are listed on the XBMC wiki website. If you don't approve of them , why are they listed please?

Is the Wiki manual not part of XBMC ?

Having just had my head bit off for mentionning a banned channel on the forum and I didn't know banned channels existed , do you wonder why people get confused.

I would be grateful if you could clarify. Thanks.
My apologies for being blunt before.

There's add-ons from the XBMC.org repository, which are community add-ons that are considered stable, open source, and have been submitted by their creators to be listed in that repo.

There's additional add-ons outside of the XBMC.org repository, including other repositories, that include additional add-ons. Sometimes add-ons are not totally stable, or the author simply chooses to not submit the add-on to the XBMC.org repo for some reason, or who knows what.

Then finally there's add-ons that are primarily targeted towards accessing pirated/illegal content. We don't stop users from being able to install such add-ons, but we don't allow discussion or support them on XBMC.org.

Users are free to discuss, document, or list add-ons and add-on repositories on both the forum and the wiki, so long as they pass the piracy policy outlined on forum rules (wiki).

As for why there is no such single list, that is because such things typically fall to the community to do. I encourage people to list their add-ons on the wiki even if they are not listed in XBMC.org, but there's a lot of them, and it's nearly impossible for one person to even know about all of them. The only way for such a list to be maintained is if add-on authors and users contribute to the documentation.

Superrepo is kind of in a gray area. It's a repository, and aims to list as many add-ons as possible, regardless of source or if they're "legal" or not. So for their site specifically, you'll find listings of add-ons that can be discussed here, as well as add-ons that can't be discussed here.

Typically speaking, tons of free movies and TV shows = probably not legal

There are exceptions, such as Hulu and Free Cable, which pull content from servers that are licensed for those TV shows and movies, but at the same time there's a reason why even those add-ons don't include "everything".
OK.

Thanks-now I understand.

I am writing a beginners guide to XBMC focusing only on downloading and installing channels which apart from renaming films is probably the most complex part so I needed to be sure of my facts. I will now rewrite based on you explanation.

Thanks again.
If you want someone to look over your beginners guide, feel free to contact me when it is finished.
Thanks for your offer to look over my beginners guide.

I would be very grateful if you could do this for me.

I have more or less finished it and its around 5 pages in Microsoft word.

How can I get it to you please ?