Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why not use EDID to determine Audio single?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys. Just got through setting up my first XBMC HTPC - its been a long week. Started with ubuntu, then to OpenELEC, and now using Windows 7 which seems to be the only option where ALL of my components work - along with all of the windows bloat.

I do have one question about the audio over HDMI - maybe more of a feature request but thought I would pose it as a question first. Is there no option to have the Audio over HDMI automatically set based on the EDID handshake? In other words, when XBMC talks to the receiving device on the other end - TV, receiver, etc. - why does it not use that to determine what audio is capable of being transmitted, whether that be Dolby Digital, DTS, HD version, or just plain stereo? Instead you have to tell the software specifically in the system menu.

The reason I am missing this option is this htpc will not be connected to a single display in a single room. It will be inside a closet behind a 4x4 HDMI matrix switcher which has a connection to 4 different rooms so any room can watch it at any time. Two of the rooms have TVs and the other two have receivers which are able to decode up to DD HD and DTS MA. Right now I have a Popcorn Hour media streamer that I want to get rid of for the XBMC device and this is the one feature that is holding me up.

I am not trying to sound ungrateful, XBMC has otherwise been solid and soooo much better the lame interface of the PCH. It really is an impressive piece of software. But it seems a feature like this would make sense since that is the point of EDID.

Thanks
Ernie
Like many things half-finished ;-)
Thanks for responding Damian. So it sounds like it is one of those things that is on the "wish list"? Should I still make a feature request or will it make no difference?

Ernie
There's some debate already ongoing about it - certainly it has potential as a feature but on its own its imperfect. It will work for many setups but not all, particularly outside the windows environment. Still there's some interest in doing it at some point, perhaps via a wizard. Some guys love 'em, some hate 'em.
There is also an issue with AMD drivers concerning EDID if I understood correctly.
It would certainly be cool if there was an option to use autodetect / enable it if you know it works for your setup.
I can understand the difficulty of implementing something like that - EDID can be a royal pita. Thanks for the responses. I may just have to live with it in my setup. If there is anything I can do to help let me know - might even be able to help with the coding - maybe - I am C# guy so C++ would be a little foreign to me.

Ernie