Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Use XBMC as a client and stream videos from Linux Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I've tried to figured out how to solve my problem with googling and looking in this forum and the wiki, but with no success... Rolleyes

I have a dedicated server on internet (on Debian), on which I run sabnzbd, couchpotato and sickbeard. So, the result of this is that I get a remote folder (on this server) full of movies and videos.

Now, I'd like to be able to configure XBMC on my computers (at home), and make it connect to this remote location.

I've tried to install several piece of software on my server, to be able to manage several protocols : XBMSP (I tried ccxstream), UPNP (with serviio). I even tried to use VLC (I was able to make it work, and stream my video to a local VLC, but the result is NOT as nice as XBMC, and difficult to set up) and SAMBA (didn't manage to get the configuration right I think) and Hamachi (seems to be broken at the time)

I guess that UPNP and XBMSP are not working, because they are based on UDP, and I think that they are made for local network. (because the packets are sent to the server, but the server cannot manage to send back packet response when my computers are behind a router)

Is there a simple way to do this ? I mean, I'd like to be able to browse my movies (I managed to do it with the couchpotato plugin), and launch them from XBMC.

Which protocol will fit my needs ?

Thanks for your tips or answers.. Cool
VPN
(2013-07-16, 15:21)orabig Wrote: [ -> ]Which protocol will fit my needs ?

SFTP, assuming you already have SSH access to the server machine. FTP would probably work too, but SFTP is more secure, so it ought to be your default choice.
(2013-07-16, 16:22)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]VPN
Well, yes. I'll do that as a last resort. However, it seems like a big hammer to kill a moskito... And I'd like to have a solution which is simple to setup on client side if I want to install it on several computers...

And what seems strange, is that I managed to read my videos with VLC alone, without any VPN setup (and I was behind a proxy).

Seriously, there's no simple way to get stream on http, mms or rtsp with XBMC for instance ? Huh

(2013-07-16, 16:42)mal2 Wrote: [ -> ]SFTP, assuming you already have SSH access to the server machine. FTP would probably work too, but SFTP is more secure, so it ought to be your default choice.
Hum, I'll try this. Thanks...
I installed Plex Server on the my XBMC box. - I wanted to stick with one product when i initially installed my system, but that proved to have limitations. Running PlexServer on the background opened remote flexibility.

Plexapp is used on all remote and handheld devices - Works pretty well - Hope the XBMC group adds some sort of remote services in future releases. hope that helps.
(2013-07-16, 16:44)orabig Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-16, 16:42)mal2 Wrote: [ -> ]SFTP, assuming you already have SSH access to the server machine. FTP would probably work too, but SFTP is more secure, so it ought to be your default choice.
Hum, I'll try this. Thanks...
Hey, SFTP was kinda difficult to set-up (I wanted to use chroot for total security), but now, it seems to be working...

There are some glitches (TV shows are not added yet), but my movies play perfectly !!

Many thanks !