Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Any way to configure the client without a graphics card?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am trying to install XBMC in a virtual machine that doesn't yet have a dedicated graphical card. I'll passthrough one as soon as it arrives, but that might take more than a month.

I want to configure the client beforehand, just to save some time, but the client won't open with the VM's adaptor, nor with RDP. Is there any way I can access the client to set my library and themes and other things in general?
A month without XBMC is like a month without sunshine! Pity.
Might be possible but you'd probably need need the VM guest additions installed in order for Direct3D acceleration to work.
(2013-07-17, 15:06)Chetyre Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I am trying to install XBMC in a virtual machine that doesn't yet have a dedicated graphical card. I'll passthrough one as soon as it arrives, but that might take more than a month.

I want to configure the client beforehand, just to save some time, but the client won't open with the VM's adaptor, nor with RDP. Is there any way I can access the client to set my library and themes and other things in general?

I RDP into my Server 2012 box and run XBMC 12.2 in windowed mode without any problems.. I had to follow the instructions at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid763406 to force it into WINDOW mode tho. YMMV I know this hasn't worked for everyone that's tried it.
@PatK

It is mostly for my wife lol. But she doesn't understand yet how awesome it will be.

@jjd-uk

My hypervisor doesn't offer any hardware acceleration for graphics unfortunately. Only disk and network drivers.

@vexation

I can't seem to find the gui settings file. It might be created during first startup, but I can't execute the first startup because of this issue.

EDIT: Ok, I'm an idiot. I was looking at the wrong folder, and found the correct one at the wiki. Didn't work however, gui creation failed. I do see a window however.
Well without Direct3D you ain't going to get XBMC to run
But isn't there anyway I can headlessly synchronize my library at least?