Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC vaapi - Tearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!

I am new here. The last two weekends I played a lot with my new htpc machine.
Right now, after some time consuming frustrated efforts, I don't know how to proceed any further.

So what are the problems:

- Tearing with XBMC latest alpha and vaapi.
- VLC doesnt even work with vaapi at all (wanted to test with vlc)
- I managed to compile mplayer with vaapi support. It works flawless! Just cant get it to work
With SMPlayer frontend. So close, yet so far away.

What I have done:

I used the latest XBMC Gotham alpha from GIT, hence Frodo packages do not support vaapi ATM.
Compiled airplay support (libshairplay) and it works good.
Prior to this I installed libvaapi, libvaapi-intel-driver and stuff.
I even compiled latest intel vaapi drivers from latest source. Vaapi 0.34 and vaapi-intel-driver 1.2.
Same result.

My system:

As rock H77 mini-itx board.
Intel Pentium G2020 Ivy Bridge.
Fedora 19 x64

As you can see with my semi-success with mplayer, VAAPI itself is working perfekt.
With mplayer <12% CPU load, no tearing etc.

What I mean with tearing:

In the upper screen, there are 1-2 bad lines shifted vertically. Only with 1080p movies and when the camera is moving fast. Quite annoying, actually.

What bothers me that my xbmc build has no video-hardware settings so I cant change anything in the settings regarding video.

I hope someone has any ideas. I googled a lot and dit not find anything use full, yet.
did you try OpenElec or Xbmcbuntu? It works ootb there.
Or if you also want vaapi deinterlacing: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...nterlacing
Hey,

I did not try the link you posted, though I was aware of it. The problem is, my xbmc build does not have all these option in settings menu.
Is there another way to view them? Config file? Maybe the advancedsettings.xml? (Which is not present by default, IMHO).

I did not try openelec or anything other, because I want to use Fedora. My machine also serves as NAS, remote server and stuff.
I want to move away from Ubuntu, desperately. But this is another story :-)
in the settings menu, press left arrow to open the side bar. select advanced.
Thx, the menu settings apparently changed in XBMC 13 Confused
I tried some settings from the link, made ist much worse right now Sad. I will play around al little bit more, now.
One difference is: I am on Fedora, not Ubuntu (This should not be a problem). The other difference is I am using XBMC 13 Alpha,
because there is no vaapi-enabled XBMC repo in Fedora.
I set everything according to the other threads settings. Still alot of tearing in the upper side oft the screen. Vertical sync Let driver choose or always on dos not make any difference, but Only for Video does. Its bad Big Grin
At least now I could check with vaapi turned off. Despite the increase in CPU load, the picture is the same! Another indicator that this is not vaapi related at all.

EDIT: Disabling VSYNC in settings results in better picture. Still tearing at the top, but less. With on or auto, xbmc often uses 100% cpu. I dont know why.
Another thing I recognized is that everything ist so slow when playing a movie and scrolling through the menu. I have a raspberry PI, I 've beein using before.
It's a little bit difficult for me, because I bought my htpc components because of the "poor" performance of the raspberry. But the PI is working 10x as good :-(
you run it from gnome3? if yes -> don't do it.
Yes, I guess a lot of people are doing that? I will try openelec now for testing purposes.
Just tried openElec live from usb stick. Everything is working very smooth. Video is perfect. Even GUI responsive is really good while watching 1080p.
vaapi is working, with ~5% load. OK so now I know my hardware works Huh
But OpenElec is not a solution for me. Using openElec I did not even need VAAPI, cause the whole purpose of this distribution is to run XBMC, only.
ubuntu works perfectly fine too. if you insist on fedora, you'll have to find your way. We just don't have any devs using it.
Hm, I just need a distro which is "complete" from a console point of view :-)
That I can login in remote and have a full linux distri. XBMC should be running always.
If there is no option for a desktop like Gnome or KDE, OK that would be a compromize I am willing to make.
In any other way it should be a fully functional linux system.
and ubuntu is not a full linux dist?
It is Smile I just meant that stuff like OpenElec does not make sense for my purpose.
I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.04 server with the "automated install script" right now.
I guess those "special" ppa with XBMC vaap-enabled is part of it?
vaapi is enabled in every ppa, but the one with vaapi deinterlacing is probably not part of that script.
Jeeej, it works quite well, the whole system freezes every 1-2 seconds for about a second completely. Even the mouse. Huh
Pages: 1 2