Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DTS / Dolby Digital Not Working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone

I just installed XBMC on the Android Media Player. I am not able to play dts/dd based video ( get gargled sound ) on the amp. Went thru a lot of posts but was not able to find the answer. If someone could help me on this issue.

My setup

Android Media Player

1.6GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A9 processor with 3D Mali400 GPU
1GB DDR3 Memory
8GB NAND Flash Memory
Android OS 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)

Amp
Yamaha RX-v540 ( Old one, it supports dts, dd , and other format , since i have tired with a normal media player )

Connectivity
Connected HDMI cable to TV and SPDIF to the Amp.
On Android setting -> sound -> Sound Device Manager -> SPDIF Only

XBMC Build
XBMC 12.2 Git:20130502-32b1a5e

XBMC audio Settings
Audio Output : Optical/Coax
Speaker Config : 5.1
Boost vol level on downmix : off
Output Stereo to all speakers : Off
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable Receiver : On
DTS capable Receiver : On
AAC capable Receiver : On
Multichannel LPCM capable Receiver : Off ( Greyed out )
TrueHD capable Receiver : Off ( Greyed out )
DTS-HD Capable receiver : Off ( Greyed out )

Audio Output Device : Android , Audiotrack ( No other options )
Passthrough Output Device : Error - No Devices found.

When i set the "Audio Output" to analog there is stereo sound coming thru the amp.

If someone could help me to find a work around.

Regards
Looks like XBMC is not picking up your amp as a passthrough device.

When I plug my Android box to my Receiver with an HDMI cable it shows up in the Passthrough Output Device field.

While typing this I just tried the optical out to receiver and HDMI to tv with the same settings you have and it worked fine however I had the same error in Passthrough Output.

What Android unit do you have? Maybe it doesn't support Dts or Dolby Passthrough ?
Hi

Thank you for taking time to answer me.

Its a device called "Veolo 2" from AC Ryan.

Infact the setting is set only to "SPDIF" in the sound device manager and for DTS/DD based video's there is gargled sound. With the same settings when i play normal stereo based video's it plays with the correct sound.

It seems Android by default will not support DTS/DD. When i wrote to the company , they said that it is not supported.

I have been going thru some other posts ( Other Android based players ) where the same problem is exists .

Which is the player that you are using ?

Thanks
hi,

I have an em-6 mx tv box and at first i could select all the capable receiver options but since yesterday all those options are greyed out! My Pioneer ax3 is perfectly suitable to work with dts and the first day the amp in fact showed it received all channels playing Icefilms. Pioneer plasma connected via hdmi. Can't see why dts and dolby surround are no longer working. Any clues?

Uco (new member)
Only a very few Android devices support passthrough
But I'm very sure I was able to select the dts/dd options (all the capable receiver options) the first day. And my amp 'confirmed' reception of dolby digital multichannel sound.

I've set the options in Andriod settings 'voice' to SPDIF pass through but with no effect on XBMC.
Selection is not the issue Smile Only a very few Android devices support passthrough.
Well, the "problem" is that a right combination of Android box and smart receivers actually *happens* to allows pass-through, even if XBMC self is not doing something about it.

Now, with recent changes, the pass-through options are not even shown if a pass-through device doesn't exist, as is the case for Android.
That's *somehow* a regression from Frodo...

We should define a dummy passthrough device in Android for those cases...
I thought I fixed that in mainline.

EDIT: fixed it for AMLogic which is one device that supports passthough.
Yeah, tricky. 99% of the boxes do not "support" it.
It just happens to work because the 2-channels AC3/DTS literally pass through Android sufficiently unaltered that *some* receivers are still able to recognize AC3/DTS Wink
Please excuse my ignorance, but if I'm only using an AVR to play the audio, and it's directly connected to my Android device (OUYA) via HDMI, does that still qualify as "passthrough?"
no
Who would run their HDMI to an AVR just to output the audio to the speakers on a TV? Or am I missing something here?
I don't think that's what davilla meant. Just having the HDMI connected to your AVR does not qualify as "pass-through".

Pass-through means the audio is actually being "passed through" to the AVR. You can still send downmixed stereo or decoded LPMC/PMC (meaning the device is doing the decoding) over the HDMI, for it to qualify as "pass-through" the device has to send the "raw" audio (as in DD or DTS) to the AVR for it to do the decoding.
encoded DD/DTS is passed though un-modified to AVR. aka "passthough"
Pages: 1 2