Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(2014-02-14, 07:10)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]sure, and one day pigs will fly Smile

ahhhh, finally Smile
(2014-02-15, 00:13)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]ahhhh, finally Smile
(2014-02-14, 23:31)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Davilla might be exaggerating when he says "when pigs fly" about multithread decoding, but he sure as heck knows what he's talking about when it comes to these things.

LOL

Davilla Wrote:XBMC uses FFMpeg, so OpenHEVC being multi-threaded is a useless option.

Davilla Wrote:h265 decode is not multi-threaded in FFMpeg.

Davilla Wrote:This is NOT OpenHEVC per-say but is based off it by OpenHEVC devs. Regardless, it's still not multi-threaded and what goes on inside OpenHEVC has little regard to the multi-threading of codecs in FFMpeg.
Ok, don't believe me then Smile Go check the source code of FFMpeg then.
So really, we have this out of order. We need to nag on the FFMPEG forums for multithreading of x265. THEN we come back to XBMC and nag for the new FFMPEG to be included. ^_^
Which, as far as I can tell (and I'm always open to being wrong), only means that however ffmpeg has implemented H.265, it is currently configured (or whatever) for single thread decoding. Previously XBMC only used single-thread decoding for any codec, despite using ffmpeg which is able to multithread decode most codecs, because that's how it was configured (for stability, from what I've been told). Therefor it doesn't matter what OpenHEVC is doing as long as ffmpeg is only implementing some of their work.

I have no reason to blindly believe anyone, but Davilla is an established expert when it comes to video decoding in XBMC, and none of the quotes or links that were posted in this thread contradict what he's said. What reason would he have to lie or to make something up? I don't always get along with the guy, so it's not like I'm just taking his side because we're both on Team XBMC.
Davilla,

Go ahead and let the cat out of the bag. CrystalHVEC is being tested right now on ATV Gen-1....and you silly fools sold your apple tv classics.

Let the ebay frenzy start...........

Now!
eh, as I'm the one that started the whole apple tv classic craze, I still have 3 or 4 of them around Smile
Will test later.. enable multi-threading on HEVC.. at least when the PPA gets built!

https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...987fb9f739

Edit: Might as well just compile!!
Update 2: I guess pigs can fly because multi-threaded decoding of HEVC is working on my NUC!!! Smile

Not only that but a encode (and only this one other ones play fine) I had before that wouldn't play properly is working flawless.
yup, it works.
OF course pigs can fly, they didnt use to, but now definitely! Hardware support not withstanding, anything that can be imagined, given enough talent/know how can be done, xbmc in a whole is a living example of this. Just this morning I was reminded of xbmp early days and would it not be for the talent/know how of some ppl that are part of team and were part of team, most of what xbmc can do was also a non flying pig one day.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28