Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Wondering if this is possible with XBMC...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

New here, hope this question has not been answered. I searched and found nothing.

I just purchased a new TV and want to keep my setup as simple as possible. Is it possible to get an XBMC player that reads my Macbook's shared folders and plays media from there? Both will be on the same network, both connected wirelessly.

So,
  1. If this is possible.. What do I need to do on my Macbook? Enable file sharing over SMB? How about on XBMC?
  2. What is a good media player you would recommend off Amazon to get this done?
may have to do a little more reading man,

what you're asking is pretty much exactly what xbmc is designed for, loads of how-to's out there.

which is the best hardware? that's a good question, and is debated a lot... all depends on your budget and how much time you want to put into it.
- Rpi if you want a hobby project on a budget
- look @ the acer HTPC boxes if you have a bigger budget and dont want to fuss too much with it

good luck,
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

(2013-07-30, 04:48)smokecrack Wrote: [ -> ]If this is possible.. What do I need to do on my Macbook? Enable file sharing over SMB? How about on XBMC?

See if these wiki articles help:
File_sharing (wiki)
SMB (wiki)
If you want it as simple as possible, you would run XBMC right on your MacBook and just give it the internal folder locations.