Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: organizing / grouping favorites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently installed XBMC, and am loving it - many thanks to all the developers who have put such a great product together!

I have everything configured and working pretty much as I'd expect it, with one issue: I have quite a few favorites, and would like the ability to organize them (beyond just which favorites appear above others.)

My mother-in-law watches my daughter while my wife and I work. We would like her to be able to use XBMC to play favorites that are specific to my daughter. But my mother-in-law gets easily frustrated with technology, and if she has to navigate too many directories, or scroll through too many options in a list, she's likely to just not use it. So ideally, I'd like to set up a folder (either natively, through an addon, or .xml editing) titled "<daughter's> Favorites" that has a list of all the favorites we've created for her. Then (ideally) my mother-in-law can select the folder, and immediately jump to whatever favorite she wants to watch at the time, rather than slogging through a ton of favorites that aren't of interest to my daughter.

It looks like profiles might be one way to ensure that the favorites list isn't too big and are all appropriate for my daughter. But that seems like overkill, and would complicate things for my mother-in-law if we forgot to switch to my daughter's profile before leaving for work in the morning.

Is there an addon (or some native way) to organize favorites into subfolders?

(For further explanation, I thought the following example might help to identify what sort of folder structure I'm looking for)

Favorites
  • Dad
    • PBS
    • Youtube
  • Mom
    • America's Test Kitchen
    • Food Network
  • Daughter
    • Angelina Ballerina
    • Sesame Street
    • Super Why

Thanks for your help!
Are we talking about movies etc saved on your PC? If so, I assume that you have your daughters movies etc in a different folder on your PC.

You can create smartplaylists that will have a shortcut on the homescreen. That's how I seperated Kids movies with my own but also Concerts, Cabaret etc. I have different folders for each of the categories and by creating smart playlist which refer to that specific folder I can seperate the content. Works like a charm for me.

Not all skins allow you to make changes on the homescreen but most do. You can check the overall feature lists in the sub sections for skins on this forum.
(2013-07-30, 17:45)Miss_80 Wrote: [ -> ]Are we talking about movies etc saved on your PC? If so, I assume that you have your daughters movies etc in a different folder on your PC.

You can create smartplaylists that will have a shortcut on the homescreen. That's how I seperated Kids movies with my own but also Concerts, Cabaret etc. I have different folders for each of the categories and by creating smart playlist which refer to that specific folder I can seperate the content. Works like a charm for me.

Not all skins allow you to make changes on the homescreen but most do. You can check the overall feature lists in the sub sections for skins on this forum.

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into smart playlists for the media that I have locally. However, many of the favorites aren't for local media, but are for addons (or subsections of addons) that stream content from various websites. For example:

Angelina Ballerina (PBS -> PBS Kids -> Angelina Ballerina)
Sesame Street (KidsWB? -> Sesame Street)
[Some other show] (Nicktoons -> some show)

Each of the favorites above stream media from different addons. When clicked, they'll provide a list of episodes to choose from. I've already favorited the individual shows, so that my mother-in-law doesn't have to dig through each add-on. But the list of favorites is fairly long now, and scrolling through all the favorites gets cumbersome. I don't know whether smart playlists can be used for this sort of thing, but I suspect not, since the links are to different addons, and the media is streaming, not local.

Thanks again!
I'm looking for something similar. I'd like to organize my favorites in to specific "folders," many of which are addons for streaming content. Any thoughts?