Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu: is my config suitable ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey folks,

I will soon order the components for my HTPC. I think I will use XBMCbuntu as OS.
Here is the config I have in mind:

Box: Node 605
CPU: A4-3400
Memory: Gskill 4Go
PSU: beQuiet
HD system: ADATA 32 Go
HD storage: 2 * WD red 3To
Motherboard: ASRock
DVD: LiteOn

So do you see any clashes with this config and XBMCbuntu ?
Furthermore, is an SSD of 32 Go enough for the system ?

best,
Yes, get something with an nvidia graphics solution. AMD do not properly support linux.

Or an Intel solution, or anything but AMD.
Ouch :c

Thanks for your answer, unfortunately I already have the motherboard, therefore my set-up is FM1 dependent...
I went through ubuntu forum, as well as AMD and there are some workaround apparently for the installation of the drivers from AMD / ATI.
Furthermore, people were able to install ubuntu on a A6-3400 config quit easily.

So I agree, it is still risky, but I don't really have the choice here.
If ubuntu is really not workong, I can try with other distro and install XBMC later on ?
XBMCbuntu Does work on well on AMD . I did run it on my Htpc with FM1 motherboard and an A4 3400, worked out of the box . the only con i saw (if it matters to you ) is no HD audio support , meaning DTS-HD MA etc..., It was a great setup , log off log on to get to a desktop whenever needed .And worst case if U do need to add the HD audio in the future , you can always add a Fanless Nvidia GPU for 30-40$, and disable the onboard Gpu .

And for the 32gb ssd: Yes it's enough . i m also running a 32 gb kingston , enough for windows O.S , Ubuntu desktop etc.. As long as you don't store your media on it you should be fine
Thanks for your answer,

I'm please too see that XBMC works well for you on a similar config Smile
About the sound issue, I plan to add (later on) a dedicated sound card, so that can solve the issue.

But without new GPU / sound card, have you still standard audio output ?

best,
Yep trough hdmi and to my onkyo suround .

1 thing you might have to do is enable the audio on the desktop side . I think it's disabled .

but audio in xbmc works out of the box on the fm1 setup .
Okay, Thanks !
Just a quick post to say that the installation went very smoothly Smile
I tried some heavy movie with DTS-HDMA audio, and indeed, the movie is lagging, it is fixed when i switch to stantard audio (2.0).
I will look for drivers though !

I'm very happy with xbmcbuntu so far !
You will NOT get DTS-HD passed through on an AMD GPU on linux. AMD do not support it. They barely support linux at all.
Glad To Hear it !

IF you can , post some pictures of your setup , Don't see enough Nod 605 around .