Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: help with XAF and external player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue I'm having. I'm using 12.1 XAF. MX Player opens an works as the default player no problem for files on the sd card however not when trying to play something from my network hard drive (which is my only use for xbmc). The error I get is a popup that says external player active, click okay when playback has ended, it's shown in the screenshot attached. 90% of the time xbmc just closes when i click okay. If anyone knows why this is or a way to get this working it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

we only support our own builds and not of 3rd party. we have no idea what they changed. try their site
(2013-08-05, 12:16)dono0070 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue I'm having. I'm using 12.1 XAF. MX Player opens an works as the default player no problem for files on the sd card however not when trying to play something from my network hard drive (which is my only use for xbmc). The error I get is a popup that says external player active, click okay when playback has ended, it's shown in the screenshot attached. 90% of the time xbmc just closes when i click okay. If anyone knows why this is or a way to get this working it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Did you solve this? I got the same problem - also with the default XBMC + MX Player (which makes my question "legal")
What protocol you are on for the MXPlayer to play the files from network drive? smb vs cifs? MXPlayer doesn't work on smb.
I know this is a bit old, but as it effected me, and I got it working, I thought I would post a fix.

I have a DroidX2, which the default apk does not install on, but the xaf version does. However, I don't like using an external video player. Ala "play using" dvdplayer worked on everything I needed, and better for some. So I looked around a found out a "fix", that will work for what you need.

On mine I opened up /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/userdata/playercorefactory.xml in an editor, your's might be somewhere else. If it isn't their, you might have to grep for it.

Add the following, or maybe just replace mxplayer:

<rule protocols="smb" player="DVDPlayer" />

That will make it so that anything from smb will open up in DVDPlayer, aka the builtin player that can handle it. If you want to go further, and your device can play the video's you want with DVDPlayer, you can also do one more line and change to the following:

<rule video="true" player="DVDPlayer"/>

That changes the default video player to be DVDPlayer. You can still pick another via pressing the video till the menu comes up, and click play using.