Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xbmc scrambled UI?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello
I've been using xbmc on ubuntu for a while now. This issue has occured every now and then, and thus far I've been unable to find a solution, so I'm asking here.
Seemingly randomly, xbmc UI will get scrambled. And once I close xbmc via the shutdown menu(which, oddly, is fine), ubuntu GUI will look equally screwed up. Here are some screenshots:
XBMC:
Gnome:
the random-looking background changes when I reboot the computer via ssh. While shutting down, it'll change to something equally random, but with few random pictures from xbmc, such as fanart or banners, included.
E: That window, btw, is only there for demonstration and is supposed to be timezone settings.

So far this has always happened while playing video. The GUI looks fine when starting the vid, but afterwards I am confronted with this. It is still possible to navigate, if one knows precisely where one is going, and videos play fine. Few things, such as video descriptions and shutdown menu, seem to be unaffected.

I have no idea why this is happening or what is causing it. Any help in figuring that out would be greatly appreciated.
I had a similar problem back in December, mine looked much worse than yours but it looks like it might be the same problem.

What kind of video card are you using? Proprietary of open source video drivers?

When I had the problem it was when using the open source radeon drivers for my ATI card. I solved it by switching to the proprietary catalyst drivers. Someone also noted that it could be solved by downgrading ati-dri and libgl from 9.x to 8.x versions (if you're using the OS driver).
That does look rather similar, thanks!
I got a fanless Asus Geforce GT 520, and was using X.org nouveau driver. Switched to Nvidia proprietary now, hopefully this'll help.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass. the reason I was using X.org in the first place was that xbmc needs accelerated opengl rendering, and proprietary drivers don't offer that, apparently.. So I guess I'm stuck.
huh? why do you think the official nvidia drivers would not support openGL? This is totally wrong.
In fact xbmc does only work properly with the nvidia binary drivers.
Hmm.. interesting.
For me, trying to start xbmc results in an error message about requiring drivers that support openGL when I switch to proprietary.
HAve to do some digging around my system, will report back once I uncover the cause