Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DNS not working in XBMCBuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have installed the xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso image on a USB stick and booted my mini PC with it, which seems to work fine.
In Ubuntu I see the IP adress, subnet mask, gateway and DNS that my own DHCP server gives it, but in XBMC I see that DNS is set to 127.0.1.1.
With an incorrect DNS I can't connect to my NAS by using its name and can't connect to the internet either.

Why does XBMC not use DHCP, or how do I change the DNS server in XBMC?

Regards,
XBMCLuver.
I have always found XBMCbuntu uses DHCP correctly. Having said that, recent ubuntus do strange stuff with DNS that I haven't completely groked.

Do some command line tests. ping, nslookup etc and see what is really going on.
Thanks, but even on my local lan I couldn't access my NAS and other sources, so I went back to XBMC on Windows, much easier and works instantly.

Regards,
XBMCLuver.
Hmm, and I thought XBMCBuntu was a download-install-play package, don't like tweaking these things without any Linux knowledge.
Thnx.
There was an xbmcbuntu version that had a screwed up /etc/resolv.conf:
Code:
domain dummy.net
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
I do not rmember which it was, but pointing to my DSL-router did the job:
Code:
nameserver 192.168.178.1
12.04 was in terms of DHCP anyway a bit crippled, it did not manage to send its hostname to the DHCP-server :-(