Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Unreasonably long wait when playing movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a really weird problem, it affects movies *only*, TV episodes play just fine.

So, I have my media collection on a linux server in my closet. I have a raid array with one directory for movies and another for tv shows. After scanning the collection into my library, playing a movie from the server causes a delay that can take upwards of 90 (!) seconds before the file starts playing. Once it's playing it works perfectly, I can fast forward and skip around in the file with no delay.

The computer playing the files has a gigabit connection to the server, and I as I said there is no delay when playing TV shows. This includes HD episodes that are larger file sizes than some SD movies I have. In fact, the filesize of the movie seems to have no impact on the delay. If I quit XBMC, browse to the samba share on the server and play the files using VLC there is virtually no delay.

I thought it might have been a problem with the database on the playing computer. However, today I finally found the time/motivation to use the mysql server on the linux machine doing the file serving. However, when I finished scanning everything, the exact same delay was back in. Just to double check, I installed XBMC on my laptop (which runs Linux Mint) and used the mysql server as the database, and it has the same delay.

I have no idea what to do next. Any help is appreciated.
Can you post a debug log (wiki) of when this happens?
Here you go: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=43610

I played the movie The 'Burbs (comes up first because of the apostrophe).
Not sure, but there's a lot going on in the log. Lots lots of add-ons, MySQL, etc. My first guess would be MySQL, but I don't know why it wouldn't have the same effect on TV shows.

I would try a minimal install, no extra add-ons, just the MySQL stuff, and see if it still happens, just to rule out a funky add-on doing something, though I don't see anything in the log like that.
There are quite a number of ffmpeg errors, does turning off "Extract Thumbnails" have any benefit?
(2013-08-09, 08:34)MilhouseVH Wrote: [ -> ]There are quite a number of ffmpeg errors, does turning off "Extract Thumbnails" have any benefit?
Hey that fixed it. Thanks a bunch.

Is there a way I can find it which files it's failing on specifically, so I can deal with them and still have the thumbnails?
(2013-08-10, 03:31)tuluse Wrote: [ -> ]Hey that fixed it. Thanks a bunch.

Is there a way I can find it which files it's failing on specifically, so I can deal with them and still have the thumbnails?

The files to replace would be your movies... what are these ".bin" files anyway?

You could try placing local artwork alongside each movie - I'm guessing you don't have posters, so XBMC is trying to extract a thumbnail from these ".bin" movies - and failing.
I think the bin files are disk images, I figured xbmc would just ignore anything it didn't know what to do with (seemed to work 99% of the time for me).
Move those *.bin files out of the path of any location that will be scanned by the scraper.
Thanks again everyone.