Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Some advice please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know what I want to do but don't know where to start.

I want to use a single PC to host my xbmc media, thumbnails and meta data so that my thin clients of XBMC (raspi) don't need to download any metadata from the net, the thin clients will just pull the media and meta stuff from my host.

I would like my host PC to also act as a NAS so I can store other files on it.

Currently I only have a single 2 TB HDD holding my media but down the track I would like to add 2 additional (or more) HDDs in RAID 5 setup (Done via software RAID).
If your host PC is running XBMC (which I assume is the case since you mentioned having the thumbnails and metadata generated there), the simplest, but not necessarily most robust, solution is to use UPnP, as explained here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...using_UPnP

(Don't miss the video tutorial at the bottom of the page, as it demonstrates how easy it is to setup this type of media sharing)
Awesome guide. What about the RAID side of things
I hear good things about unRaid.
It might be worth mentioning that the most robust way to do it is to install a MySQL server on your host PC. This is slightly more complicated but works quite well. It also has several advantages over UPnP sharing at this point.

The long term plan however is to get rid of MySQL in favor of something else, which very likely may be UPnP