Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DVR question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where can I ask general DVR questions?
Here. I just moved your thread. There are also subforums within this forum for some of the PVR backends supported by XBMC.

If you haven't already done so, start by reading "The Live TV and PVR (wiki)/DVR Setup Guide" in the wiki.
Thank you for responding. I'm new to DVRs so naturally I have some questions about them. I have used VCRs for many years so I know a little about recording and playing back tv shows which is the only thing I'm concerned with.
1: I'm using an analog tv (tuned to channel 3) viewed through a set top digital converter box hooked to a roof top antenna. Can I still use a DVR with this setup?
2: Will the digital converter box be required with a DVR?
3: Will the DVR record a timer recording on other than the channel being viewed at the moment?
4: What are "stand alone" DVRs?
I'm sure there are more questions but these will get me started. Any help for a DVR newbie will be much appreciated.
I will answer this from an XBMC perspective since you are on the XBMC forum. For more generic DVR questions, go into a TV store and ask the assistant about the ones they sell.

1. I'm using an analog tv (tuned to channel 3) viewed through a set top digital converter box hooked to a roof top antenna. Can I still use a DVR with this setup?Your setup is the worst possible connection between two video devices. DOn't you even have a composite (usually yellow RCA connector) on your TV and STB?

There are limited options in the computer world for outputting to analogue TVs. The raspberry pi has composite out. SOme older graphics cards will have composite out but they are getting harder to find. Consider spending some money on a TV with HDMI input before you splash out on a computer based DVR.

2. Will the digital converter box be required with a DVR? Depends on how your TV is transmitted - encrypted or not?

3. Will the DVR record a timer recording on other than the channel being viewed at the moment? In general 'yes' but need the answer to 2 first.

4. What are "stand alone" DVRs? pass.
Based on your second post, it appears you are asking for help in buying a DVR (a TiVo-type device) as a one-for-one replacement for a VCR, rather than asking how a PVR/DVR-enabled computer system fits into the topology of an integrated media center with another computer system running the XBMC application acting as the hub/front-end and perhaps yet another system/device acting as a file server. If that is indeed the case, I think you will find more appropriate resources/references for your needs by performing a Google search for "DVR buying guide".
Thanks...I'll do that.